Which is the most balanced, profitable and sustainable HYBRID layer for a homestead.

• WHITE LEGHORN

• RED SEX LINK

• BLACK SEX LINK

Results are only viewable after voting.
As far as "profitable" sexlinks producing brown eggs are more profitable than white leghorns. I can sell more brown eggs than white, plus sexlinks grow faster on less feed for meat production.

White leghorns from big companies are much more skiny than sex links from big companies. They also have a better feed to egg conversion rate than the sex links. I have seen the leaflets of many big companies. Red sex links are much calmer, less flighty and lay bigger eggs. They may be a bit more hardy too, because they have bigger heterosis levels.

Very interesting this for the egg color.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best hybrid layer by far is the hy-line white, especially the 80.
Hy-line international gave to its leghorns the most balanced features.
The second best option is the dominant leghorn D229, because they are the less stressed and the calmer strain I have ever used. They are also excellent foragers.
These options are good for low-density & chicken scratch conditions.

Comparing RSL from big companies, I have to say that I would go with hy-line brown for the layer feed to egg conversion rate. This brown layer can't be compared to the layer of any other company when it comes to economical eating.

Comparing BSL from big companies, I have to say that dominant black d 109 is the best option because of its adaptability to low-density feed rations and its charisma to lay reddish-brown eggs, sometimes with nice speckles. It was my best option for big eggs and holds the size of the egg comparing to my other hybrids.
I also trust tetra harco because it is an economical eater too and very hardy.

Back
Top Bottom