vts office killed my sisters cat by mistake

SPREAD the word on every forum you can get on - including craigslist, and id call a lawyer, theres no excuse for this, and in the meantime, did the stupid vet ever call you to explain or at least try to apologise? id be LIVID, I think id have punched her through the freaking wall.. thats inexcusable and disgusting , god help them if they ever did that to one of mine, im so sorry, it makes me furious to just hear about this.. . By the way, there is a national veteranary medical board that you call to complain too- with any luck, they will shut them down..

http://www.tbvme.state.tx.us/Complaints.php

here is the complaints page, please use it to stop these idiots, just because your sister used "put to sleep, instead of "sedate" does not alter the fact that they killed her cat from being careless and STUPID, they should have asked the reason to euthanise, and asked to sign a paper stating that it was requested , more then likely alot of poeple were bringing in pets they could not find homes for and having them put to sleep, but this does not make what they did any less careless and reckless.. I worked for vets, there is NO excuse for this

It appears that there are a clear miscommunication on several levels. Most people understand 'put to sleep' as euthanasia rather than sedation. BUT despite the wording your sister used, the receptionist AND veterinarian should have clarified. A cruel lesson for everyone on how a meaning can be skewed.

This is simply heart crushing, I never even imagined such a thing could happen :'( Sending prayers for your niece, I can only imagine the horrible shock this was ~.~ All I can say is that I would hate to be in the position of the person who allowed this to happen, I could never forgive myself :'(

Last edited:
I work in the human medical field. And people ask all the time to be (put to sleep) I just shake my head and tell them you will be sedated and they say (OH NO I WANT PUT TO SLEEP). Big difference in the two. People need to learn to ask for sedation.

But the office staff at the veterinarian office should of followed certain steps.
1. At call of appointment should of wrote down problem and need for sedation.
2. At appointment went over symptoms. Then vet come in and go over again. Before any treatment given.
3. If said cat was to be euthanized, them paperwork Would have to be signed and witnessed.

I am so sorry for this painful unbelievable loss. Please keep up posted on what is going on.

Maye

I would absolutely pursue this legally. I would pretty much demand they change their policies to both have an explanation of what *any* (but particularly euthanasia) procedure will entail, and must have a form to sign. There is absolutely no excuse on the part of the vet's that this happened, regardless of the euphemism "put to sleep".

Absolutely painful just to think about. So sorry for your sister and niece.

Last edited:
my point is ... they were talking about cleaning the cats ears. my sister was gonna do it at home. the receptionist talked her into letting them do it. my sister asked them if the could put hime to sleep while they clean his ears because he will freak out. he hates his ears messed with. the lady said yes. How did she get euthanizethe cat? if she was paying attention she wouldnt have made that mistake. why would my sister want to put her cat down if she wanted to get his ears cleaned?

whats really sad is this is my sister who almost died in the car accident in october 2010... she still doesnt walk with out a cain and needs more surgery. her family did not need to go thru this

It's painful to think of this happening to my cat, who is my best friend. I hope that vet's clinic gets in big trouble.
I'm truly sorry for your loss. :(

~Charis

Back
Top Bottom