vts office killed my sisters cat by mistake

chixie

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
kountze texas
my sister called the vets office and asked if she could come get medicine for ear mites for her cat. the lady on the phone said they could do it for her. my sister asked if the could put him to sleep while the cleaned out his ears cause he freaks out. they said yes. so my sister and niece took him in there they gave him a shot. sister thought they were sedating him.. instead the euthenized him in front of her and my niece. asked her if they were taking hine with them they said of course . placed him in a box and handed him to them... the receptionist put euthenize on the chart and not lean out his ears. they always use this vets office for there pets. this was a beutiful healthy cat. she called my mom crying yesterday. where do you go from cleaning a cats ears for mites to euthinize. they didnt even have her sign anything to have him euthenized or even double check to make sure that was suposed to be done. we are alll ticked off

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss- this is crazy unheard of- insane.
I am a veterinary technician, and there are so many things that they did wrong here- besides the obvious.

When someone brings their pet in for euthanasia, we always have them go into one certain room. We have dedicated one room for euthanasia. We have them sign a form, which clearly indicates what we are doing, and also if they will be taking them with them, or if they will want to have him cremated.
Someone ALWAYS asks if they have ever been present before, and then explains the procedure so they know what to expect.

The tech double checks that the paperwork is signed and draws up the solution. The doctor checks the paperwork as well.

If the cat was not obviously ill and suffering, then the doctor always asks them WHY they have chosen to euthanize.

So much was missed in your case, I hope that your family will be seeking legal action.

hugs.gif

Last edited:
This is insane! I agree with Mom 2em All. You should get legal advice.

hugs.gif

I agree about the lawyer.They should also file a complaint with the State Veterinary board or whatever agency licences Vets. The Vet is responsible for the actions of his or her staff. So sorry for your sister's loss. I would be crazy if it happend to one of my cats.
hugs.gif

I'm afraid there would have been a scene. Probably the cops would have been involved.
I'm so sorry for your sister and your niece.

Awwww How sad! Maybe they got confused when your sister asked to put the cat to sleep? In any case they should have verified that with you before they gave the cat the shot :(

I am speechless! I am so sorry for their loss..
hugs.gif

I am glad that they are seeking legal advice!

REPORT this to the licensing body!!!!

This should NOT happen ever! No competent veterinarian would allow something like this to happen!

Where I work there is a form to sign before any euthanizia takes place. We make sure the person understands what they are signing. We NEVER ever use the words "put to sleep" when describing euthanizia. We also never, ever use the words "put to sleep" to describe anesthetic!! ANY competent vet understands how easily the words "put to sleep' can and are misunderstood! They are taught this in first year and every year after!! I still cannot believe any vet would allow this to happen in their clinic!

I am sorry for the loss!

Back
Top Bottom