Waddles & Puddles have bumblefoot...

Oh, my. I'm sorry this is happening to you.
hugs.gif

Ducks are very good at healing themselves, I've never had one get bumblefoot and I've raised ducks for several years now. Good luck!

So where does one get the antibiotics everyone keeps talking about? From the vet, feed store? I just noticed cuts on the bottom of one of my drakes feet, not sure how he did it, but want to be proactive. He is walking fine and they seem to be healing, but....

Quote:
We tried to get Baytril, but we need a prescription. So we took her to the vet, hoping to get the prescription.
He gave us pills, and a foot scrub. Sadly I don't know the name of either, so I could tell you not to get it. It made it 10X worse.

Unless you want to do surgery (You can usually find pics in the chicken sections), I'm really not sure what antibiotics to recommend.
If you call your local vet they might be able to give you a prescription...
I'll PM you if I find any other antibiotics that work.
smile.png

To treat mild cases of bumblefoot, I wipe the duck's foot with a few drops of povidone iodine (betadyne is one brand) in a few tablespoons of water to clean it; I smear some triple antibiotic (Neosporin is one brand) on the foot. Usually I do this at night, then a time or two during the day. I have covered the foot with a bandage at night in a few cases, but usually a regular application of the ointment, which is greasy, seems to help.

It takes several weeks for it to completely heal (I catch it early, or at least so far I have), but improvement has been seen within days.

hmm.png
The vet had us wrap her foot for a few days, so we kept them in the garage. This morning I moved them out to their new enclosure, and unwrapped her foot. We installed a pond, as the vet said to.

It's gotten worse.
barnie.gif
It seems everything the vet has us do makes the infection worse. She's limping, and doesn't stand on it when she doesn't have to. If it spreads to the leg we'll likely put her down.

IMG_014588.jpg

IMG_014390.jpg

IMG_014689.jpg

Video-
http://s865.photobucket.com/albums/...211/juliejamjam/?action=view&current=9c87.mp4

Thoughts? It's already spreading to the top of her foot...

Poor thing. That looks terribly painful. I think if it were me, I'd do the "surgery" most commonly performed by seasoned chicken keepers. Also, it may help to get some surgical scrub called hibiclens. You can get it at the drug store and online. It's on the expensive side for a soap but it kills everything from staph to MRSA. The active ingredient is chlorhexidine gluconate. There are also some veterinary versions available for sale. The hibiclens is a 4% solution. I'd use it straight for this case but it can be diluted for other uses when the case is less serious.

Also the upside of hibiclens is that it doesn't sting at all so it won't cause her any more pain. It is also sold in a 16oz size with a foaming pump that makes it last a lot longer. A little bit of that stuff goes a long way.

Last edited:
I've never done either but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I've gotten pretty brave with home vet care. It isn't ideal but necessary as there is not a vet around here that I know of that will treat chickens or ducks for a reasonable price.

At this point I'd see if I could talk the vet into oral antibiotics (to protect her at minimum, and I'd be suspicious she's already fighting hard against the infection and needs some help) and prepare to do the surgery myself. I have not done it myself, so I hope someone with experience will chime in. There are some very helpful people on the forums.

Soaking the foot should soften it a bit, yes?

Back
Top Bottom