Waddling chicken

I'll try and get a picture tomorrow morning.

Haven't felt chicken crops before, but it felt a little hard. When she straightens up, the 'lump' disappears. It's only when she is hunched up that it looks big.

Am I right in thinking that draining is only if you want to keep the hen as a pet? I am not particularly attached to this bird - and she is getting old. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to put her down.
Welcome To BYC

Putting her down certainly is an option and that would be up to you.
The hen in the photo is not feeling her best.
If she does have fluid in the abdomen, it could be drained to make her more comfortable for a while.

White Leghorns are prolific layers, unfortunately this also comes with a price as they get older.

If I drain the fluid, will she lay again?

My only concern with putting her down is if her problem is fixable. But I guess that it is a risk you have to take.

It doesn’t hurt to drain he or try just in case there is yellow fluid in the belly. If there isn’t then you can rule that out. I have had hens with a full lower belly hang around enjoying life with the flock for months to a couple of years. I would only attempt draining to make it easier to breathe. Repeated draining could possibly introduce infection.

Thank you. I may try draining this week. At this point, I am leaning towards putting her down. She is old, likely done laying, and suffering. If she was a pet, I'd be inclined to drain her for comfort.

To update this thread: I ended up putting her down. 99% sure she had ascites. Because she was older and I wasn't particularly attached to her, it seemed the best thing to do. Glad I made the decision, as I didn't have to worry about her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom