Waddling chicken

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Hello!

Looking for some advice on my sick, 3 year-old Leghorn. I noticed strange behaviour in September - waddling, hunched over, lethargic. Thought that she was egg-bound, so I bathed her and gave her calcium. She had stopped laying. Then, she seemed to get better, but went into a molt. She hasn't come out of her molt, still has a shrunken comb. This past week, I noticed her waddling again. She is still eating and free ranging fine.

Any ideas? I joined BYC specifically so that I could help out my hen, so please advise! I hope that this is enough information. Thank you!

Is her abdomen distended(Bloated), feel like a water balloon? If so she maybe suffering from water belly(Ascites).
When I pick her up, her belly does feel odd and bloated. Also, I saw that she was breathing through her mouth one time. Any ways to help ascites? I haven't researched it much, but it looks like there isn't anything that will get rid of it.

When I pick her up, her belly does feel odd and bloated. Also, I saw that she was breathing through her mouth one time. Any ways to help ascites? I haven't researched it much, but it looks like there isn't anything that will get rid of it.
Fluid in the belly makes it hard to breathe.
It can only be drained, to give the hen relief, but it's a chronic condition, so it won't go away, nor can be fixed.
The kindness thing to do with a chicken with this condition is to put her down.

Liver, Heart, & Reproductive problems are some common causes of Ascites.

Does the swelling in her lower belly show up if you take a picture? How does her crop feel? Does it empty by the next morning before she eats? An enlarged lower belly may be a sign of internal laying/salpingitis or water belly/ascites. I usually do not attempt to drain a hen unless she has labored breathing, since there can be a chance of infection or even death. To drain clean the area with Betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol. Use an 18 gauge sterile hypodermic needle and collect the fluid in a cup. The site may continue draining for hours after the needle is removed. If you look at post 42 in the thread below, you will see pictures of a hen being drained:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

Does the swelling in her lower belly show up if you take a picture? How does her crop feel? Does it empty by the next morning before she eats? An enlarged lower belly may be a sign of internal laying/salpingitis or water belly/ascites. I usually do not attempt to drain a hen unless she has labored breathing, since there can be a chance of infection or even death. To drain clean the area with Betadine, chlorhexidene, or alcohol. Use an 18 gauge sterile hypodermic needle and collect the fluid in a cup. The site may continue draining for hours after the needle is removed. If you look at post 42 in the thread below, you will see pictures of a hen being drained:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5
Thank you for your reply! I can try and take a picture of her belly, but I don't think that it is noticeable. She went through a molt, so her vent area is all fluffy white feathers. I haven't felt her crop.

Am I right in thinking that draining is only if you want to keep the hen as a pet? I am not particularly attached to this bird - and she is getting old. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to put her down.

Are you able to get pictures of your hen in question?
1706478412211.png

Back
Top Bottom