Wait 6 days to put eggs in bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickfillhay, Jun 30, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I bought some eggs on ebay. I was worried because I can't pay her until tomorrow. She was really nice and informed me not to worry 'cause most hatcheries prefer eggs to sit 6 days before incubating. What's your opinion.
    Either way I am taking those eggs.
    12 white &
    12 buff Orpingtons [​IMG]

2. chickenfeed

chickenfeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    North Central Iowa
    My first hatch was from eggs I bought on Ebay. They got held up in the mail and took 8 days to get here during the freezing cold weather last March. I did get two to hatch out of the 12. Good luck!

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I let my shipped eggs sit for at least 8 hours to let them settle. In my opinion, there is no need to let them sit for 6 days. That is just reducing their chances to hatch. The older an egg, the less chances for it too hatch.

Dorothy

4. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    I think she was just trying to reassure you that its okay for eggs not to be super fresh before incubating them. I agree with that when its *my* eggs. Ive incubated eggs two weeks old that were *mine* and gotten 80% hatch rates. But when eggs are shipped they are pretty traumatized. The fresher the eggs when they are shipped the more likely they are to survive the ride and develop. I dont think she meant for *you* to wait 6 days to put them in the bator.

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I agree with Cheryl, old eggs just will not ship well. I have incubated eggs that were 2 to 3 weeks old that hatch well. But if I had shipped these eggs it is doubtful they would have survived the trip. Remember, if these eggs are already 6 days old, add 3 more days to shipping time and you have 9 day old eggs.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    My understanding is that eggs should be incubated within 6-7 days of being laid. My aunt has a commercial chicken farm for hatching eggs and they sit in a "cool room" and are picked up by refrigerated truck once every 5 days. You know they aren't making it to the incubators until day 6 or 7. She reports that she has hatches at about 87%.

Certainly, the fresher, the better but I think it will be ok if they get to you quickly.

7. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Thanks everyone. It makes sense that at least I have a good chance if I get them within the next six days! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by