waiting and waiting, but not for eggs

7kids12hens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
My 5 month old barred rock roo is not crowing yet. I keep thinking that today will be the day. Has anyone had a roo not crowing at this age? He looks roo to me, and I've had a couple of people who know chickens look at photos and they are all in aggreement that he's a roo.

Do you have older Roos with him? I have 2 RIR roos and an EE Roo who grew up together and only the Alpha RIR crows. The EE tried it once and Esther the Rooster took a beak of feathers from him and all has been happy since, and the EE and lower RIR are just like the other chickens, the lower RIR will make egg laying sounds with the other chickens and sit on a box. u know the bok bok BOK! Shoulda named that one Esther, lol

My little Maran roo crowed his first crow today! He will be 8 weeks old TOMORROW!
(first crow I 'caught' him doing anyway)
love.gif

It was 5 separate crows, the right sound, but weak and echo-y.
lau.gif

I have no other roos, and the neighbors have no chickens at all.

Trouble is . . . we can't have roosters here so this speeds up his departure.
hit.gif

Quote:
We took a 3 week vacation only to come home to two crowers and 3 others that were no doubt roosters. We're not allowed to have them either so I processed all five the same day.

So far, I have not been able to figure out how to post photos on here. I know its not supposed to be that difficult, and I've read in the help forum and I do not have facebook or photobucket. I've been spending too much time outside waiting for this rooster to crow. He is the only roo now….but has not always been. I just lost my mature roo 11 days ago and I'm ready for him to fill his shoes, but he is much younger and we all know how the waitng is. I've posted about how I was worried about him being wimpy. I'm glad to someone else had a late crower. I miss the crow, but I mostly miss my rooster. I'm really mourning his loss. I'm goinmg to work on the picture thing.

7 months and still not crowing. I think he's just to pretty to crow, so he's waiting:) He is immature, does not even act like he's interested in the ladies either:( We shall see!

103921_p1010061.jpg

Thanks so much for that pic. That's exactly what my roo looks like, except the coloring is different. His tail sticks straight up, but his saddle feathers are long and growing. He's just shot past my hens in size in the last couple of days (liter ally). But he's got those long legs he needs to grow into. I thought he was going to prove himself today, but no such luck. He spotted my 7 week old kitten on the other side of a line of monkey grass. He walked over and was watching the kitten. Then she jumped over the grass thinking he was going to play with her, and he flew off sqwauking like the kitten had attacked him. He's not my leader yet, but hopefully he'll get there. Mine is sparring a lot with the pullets. Is that his way of moviing to the top?

Back
Top Bottom