Waiting on my first MyShire eggs!

IMG_20210725_112921.jpg

Forgot to add the obligatory shot of them in the incubator 🙂
The one in the second row, middle, with very heavy bloom and poop smear looking spots looks very red in person. I didn't spray because the eggs are all super clean and I didn't want to mess with the humidity levels in the incubator. I can't wait to see them hatch!

View attachment 2773200
Forgot to add the obligatory shot of them in the incubator 🙂
The one in the second row, middle, with very heavy bloom and poop smear looking spots looks very red in person. I didn't spray because the eggs are all super clean and I didn't want to mess with the humidity levels in the incubator. I can't wait to see them hatch!
Looks like you set the eggs upside down to me :pop

Looks like you set the eggs upside down to me :pop
Close enough. I have done the upright incubation for shipped eggs and it's not improved my hatch rates enough to bother anymore. So I just lay them on thier sides now. I got 60% on my last shipped eggs, I had to let them sit for 3 days before they went into the incubator because both were full already, I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. Shipped are just a gamble regardless.

Close enough. I have done the upright incubation for shipped eggs and it's not improved my hatch rates enough to bother anymore. So I just lay them on thier sides now. I got 60% on my last shipped eggs, I had to let them sit for 3 days before they went into the incubator because both were full already, I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. Shipped are just a gamble regardless.
I was just messing with you. I may be known to do that a time or two

IMG_20210728_223647_HDR.jpg

Candled a random selection, veining in 3
IMG_20210728_223543.jpg

And then this one's looking like it might be an early quitter, it's got that blurry ring thing happening, but it's also only day three so I suppose it could be just fine veining in a circular shape 🤷

These eggs are so easy to see through! I can't see anything in my flock's eggs. I'm curious to see what color the interior of the shell is, all of my older flock have blue interiors.

View attachment 2777283
Candled a random selection, veining in 3
View attachment 2777284
And then this one's looking like it might be an early quitter, it's got that blurry ring thing happening, but it's also only day three so I suppose it could be just fine veining in a circular shape 🤷

These eggs are so easy to see through! I can't see anything in my flock's eggs. I'm curious to see what color the interior of the shell is, all mine older flock have blue interiors.
When you candle them you should be able to tell the blue inside ones. These were from my myshires the bottom one is blue inside:
61C4CD19-4137-438F-A0FE-2CAFA68429C7.jpeg
784191C5-86BD-4253-BA5C-51EB073AF3A0.jpeg

When you candle them you should be able to tell the blue inside ones. These were from my myshires the bottom one is blue inside:
View attachment 2777293View attachment 2777294
That's right! I haven't been able to see inside an egg in so long I completely forgot. Do you happen to know what's at play, is it just a thinner shell, because I know with chickens the blue coloring goes through the entire shell, and makes them more difficult to candle. My older hens are all Celedon carriers with a few Celedon layers, so that's what I assumed was the issue.

That's right! I haven't been able to see inside an egg in so long I completely forgot. Do you happen to know what's at play, is it just a thinner shell, because I know with chickens the blue coloring goes through the entire shell, and makes them more difficult to candle. My older hens are all Celedon carriers with a few Celedon layers, so that's what I assumed was the issue.
I think most times it’s just a thick shell. Sometimes my birds lay eggs in the mud, and the mud kind of fuses with the bloom, and those are tough to see thru, but oddly, often hatch for me haha. I don’t find my celadon eggs difficult to see into, and I thought I’d have trouble with normal eggs, but not really, unless it has a huge spot over the area I’m looking in. Perhaps it’s brightness of the light? I have a pretty bright candler, but it plugs in, no battery. Perhaps battery ones are often not as bright?

Many people say blue inside eggs are celadon carriers. I had a few blue inside eggs in my original snowies, and I ended up with one blue laying hen in my initial cross of normal egg snowies to my celadons. There may have been more, but I only kept pearls, Italians, and silvers. All birds that I am certain are celadon carriers have blue inside eggs. Some of my carriers lay blue eggs with normal spots. So blue inside and out, but still have spots.

I think most times it’s just a thick shell. Sometimes my birds lay eggs in the mud, and the mud kind of fuses with the bloom, and those are tough to see thru, but oddly, often hatch for me haha. I don’t find my celadon eggs difficult to see into, and I thought I’d have trouble with normal eggs, but not really, unless it has a huge spot over the area I’m looking in. Perhaps it’s brightness of the light? I have a pretty bright candler, but it plugs in, no battery. Perhaps battery ones are often not as bright?

Many people say blue inside eggs are celadon carriers. I had a few blue inside eggs in my original snowies, and I ended up with one blue laying hen in my initial cross of normal egg snowies to my celadons. There may have been more, but I only kept pearls, Italians, and silvers. All birds that I am certain are celadon carriers have blue inside eggs. Some of my carriers lay blue eggs with normal spots. So blue inside and out, but still have spots.
I have just been using the built in candler on the incubator, it may be worth trying something higher powered. I only know my birds are Celedon carriers because my current flock(covey?) started off with all Celedon and these are all thier offspring mixed with some super dark Tibetans. I'm going to cross to a new Celedon bloodline and hopefully get a few more blue layers! I'm going to have to get organized better on my breeding records, so much new blood this year!

Back
Top Bottom