Walk me through Coccidiosis

I can get some pictures in a bit! I don’t have anyone else who knows much about chickens… I’ve had chickens for 8 years and I’m typically the one answering questions. But I tell people that there’s always something new.

I hatched these chicks from my own birds. With the exception of two that I got from a different farm… but those two were also hatched here.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Gail Damerow's chicken Health Handbook:
Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 7.58.39 AM.png

How long will my property be infected? Please tell me after a good hard rain 😂

I just wasn’t sure how long it would really last… sorry for all the questions.
It is always there in small numbers. Coccidia can't reproduce by itself. It reproduces in the chicken's intestines and then spreads wherever the chicken poops. It needs a host to reproduce, which makes it a parasite.

A healthy chicken's immune system would destroy the coccidia before it has a chance to reproduce, so the numbers stay low. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
So what ive read is that chickens naturally carry it, its just natural bacteria thats kind of living all over the place. But when they are little or their immune systems are weak sometimes the bacteria multiplies and infects the bird making it all sick. Then the chicken just needs to be able to fight off that infection. Usually making it easier to do so in the future. But I could be wrong. This is just what ive heard from other breeders and chicken keepers.

It is always there in small numbers. Coccidia can't reproduce by itself. It reproduces in the chicken's intestines and then spreads wherever the chicken poops. It needs a host to reproduce, which makes it a parasite.

A healthy chicken's immune system would destroy the coccidia before it has a chance to reproduce, so the numbers stay low. Does that make sense?
Yes it does! Thank you!

Attachments

• 3D8C9EE0-34C2-4CB3-8A78-2F78A7A21479.jpeg
    3D8C9EE0-34C2-4CB3-8A78-2F78A7A21479.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7503A0C9-A2A2-4CCE-95E0-B043CCD2B2AE.jpeg
    7503A0C9-A2A2-4CCE-95E0-B043CCD2B2AE.jpeg
    862.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 463E772E-039F-4FD7-8405-F1AB09735DF9.jpeg
    463E772E-039F-4FD7-8405-F1AB09735DF9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Some symptoms are blood in the poop or just pooping STRAIGHT blood…. Ruffled feathers like they’re puffy, lethargic, not super interested in eating but they still are eating and drinking. Some are better than others.

Question, are those cedar shavings? I think cedar shavings are not supposed to be used with young chicks due to the aromatic oils. I've seen mixed views on their use with adults, but it looks like most agree that they should be avoided with chicks. That could be why your chicks seem to be particularly susceptible to the coccidia if their systems are already stressed by the shavings.
I hope your babies recover quickly! Here is a page from the Chicken Chick's Blog about Coccidiosis that you can read too: https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Question, are those cedar shavings? I think cedar shavings are not supposed to be used with young chicks due to the aromatic oils. I've seen mixed views on their use with adults, but it looks like most agree that they should be avoided with chicks. That could be why your chicks seem to be particularly susceptible to the coccidia if their systems are already stressed by the shavings.
I hope your babies recover quickly! Here is a page from the Chicken Chick's Blog about Coccidiosis that you can read too: https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/
Yes they are cedar… I’ve had chickens for 8 years and have never used anything else. I’m not ruling that out but it just seems odd that this this the batch after YEARS, decides to be special with the cedar. 😂 Thank you for pointing that out. I’ll look into that. I hadn’t heard that before.

I lost two so far and the remaining 7 are okay… a couple of my splash look really weak so I’m not too sure about those.

Back
Top Bottom