Walking on hock

To unbury and old post, all you have to do is post there maybe ask for more help. It should then bring it up. You can tag people to show them an old post too, you just do the @ symbol, and then write the name of the user in front of the @ symbol, with no spaces between the symbol and the user. Like this, @Chuckkeeper , now you should be sent a notification. Good luck, Avery

What do you consider occasional?

Can you get clear photos of each eye?

In the photos of her legs, the top leg is the one with the hock on the floor
IMG_20200926_184728.jpg
IMG_20200926_184730.jpg
IMG_20200926_184709.jpg
IMG_20200926_184741.jpg
IMG_20200926_184645.jpg

To unbury and old post, all you have to do is post there maybe ask for more help. It should then bring it up. You can tag people to show them an old post too, you just do the @ symbol, and then write the name of the user in front of the @ symbol, with no spaces between the symbol and the user. Like this, @Chuckkeeper , now you should be sent a notification. Good luck, Avery
Thank you so much

It is always best to continue an ongoing thread so we can keep up on what has taken place. Walking on a hock can be from a hock tendon injury, B2 deficiency, or sometimes Mareks disease. Where did the 3 new birds come from in July? Sometimes a person might have Mareks in their flock, and if a chicken is rehomed they might be a carrier for the disease without showing symptoms, even if they are vaccinated.

It is always best to continue an ongoing thread so we can keep up on what has taken place. Walking on a hock can be from a hock tendon injury, B2 deficiency, or sometimes Mareks disease. Where did the 3 new birds come from in July? Sometimes a person might have Mareks in their flock, and if a chicken is rehomed they might be a carrier for the disease without showing symptoms, even if they are vaccinated.
Hello. Thank you. They came from a private breeder. I've spoken to him recently and shown him pics and he claims he's never seen it in his 10 years of breeding. He was as upset as I am so I like to think the information he has given me is reliable, but I cannot guarantee it. He doesn't vaccinate. I did quarantine them for 3 weeks but I guess that wouldn't help here. The other 7 showing no symptoms.

Their coop roof is 4 foot off the ground and the three CLBs in particular (with this bird being one) are very very flighty. They are always up and down, which made me wonder whether physical injury?

Well, physical injury should always be the first consideration. I always hard to even mention Mareks as a possibility, but it can be a possibility. Usually if a riboflavin deficiency, which normally affects both legs, is treated soon with extra b vitamins, one should see signs of improvement within a few days or a week. Leg bone deformities that some chickens are born with and injuries can sometimes cause a ruptured hock tendon. Since we are not vets we can just make suggestions. If you later would like to test for possble Mareks, some poultry labs will test blood or feather shafts for Mareks. Also if you should lose her, your state poultry vet can look for Mareks. You may want to limit her activity to keep her from jumping up and down since an injury might not have time to heal.

Well, physical injury should always be the first consideration. I always hard to even mention Mareks as a possibility, but it can be a possibility. Usually if a riboflavin deficiency, which normally affects both legs, is treated soon with extra b vitamins, one should see signs of improvement within a few days or a week. Leg bone deformities that some chickens are born with and injuries can sometimes cause a ruptured hock tendon. Since we are not vets we can just make suggestions. If you later would like to test for possble Mareks, some poultry labs will test blood or feather shafts for Mareks. Also if you should lose her, your state poultry vet can look for Mareks. You may want to limit her activity to keep her from jumping up and down since an injury might not have time to heal.
Thank you so much. I'll continue her B2 supplement and leave her in a smaller crate in the main pen (to limit movement and jumping but maintain contact). If she doesn't improve I think her quality of life will be limited.

Check out some chicken slings in the thread below. They can help get a chicken upright, keep them cleaner, and in front of food and water for periods through the day. Some chickens do not tolerate them and may try to escape them. You can raise them off the floor or put them touching the floor depending on what is wrong with the chicken.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Check out some chicken slings in the thread below. They can help get a chicken upright, keep them cleaner, and in front of food and water for periods through the day. Some chickens do not tolerate them and may try to escape them. You can raise them off the floor or put them touching the floor depending on what is wrong with the chicken.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you. Are these for night time sleeping as well as periodic use throughout the day?

Back
Top Bottom