Walking on hock

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Hi
I posted pics about 10 days ago of my cream legbar walking on one hock. I am feeling a daily B2 supplement and nothing has changed for better or worse. She is eating and drinking, and is perfectly mobile (as much as she can be!). Always moving about.. but limping and hopping and using a wing to stabilise herself. Any more ideas?
She's about 16wk
Thanks

IMG_20200926_174915.jpg

To unbury and old post, all you have to do is post there maybe ask for more help. It should then bring it up. You can tag people to show them an old post too, you just do the @ symbol, and then write the name of the user in front of the @ symbol, with no spaces between the symbol and the user. Like this, @Chuckkeeper , now you should be sent a notification. Good luck, Avery

To unbury and old post, all you have to do is post there maybe ask for more help. It should then bring it up. You can tag people to show them an old post too, you just do the @ symbol, and then write the name of the user in front of the @ symbol, with no spaces between the symbol and the user. Like this, @Chuckkeeper , now you should be sent a notification. Good luck, Avery
Thank you so much

It is always best to continue an ongoing thread so we can keep up on what has taken place. Walking on a hock can be from a hock tendon injury, B2 deficiency, or sometimes Mareks disease. Where did the 3 new birds come from in July? Sometimes a person might have Mareks in their flock, and if a chicken is rehomed they might be a carrier for the disease without showing symptoms, even if they are vaccinated.

Well, physical injury should always be the first consideration. I always hard to even mention Mareks as a possibility, but it can be a possibility. Usually if a riboflavin deficiency, which normally affects both legs, is treated soon with extra b vitamins, one should see signs of improvement within a few days or a week. Leg bone deformities that some chickens are born with and injuries can sometimes cause a ruptured hock tendon. Since we are not vets we can just make suggestions. If you later would like to test for possble Mareks, some poultry labs will test blood or feather shafts for Mareks. Also if you should lose her, your state poultry vet can look for Mareks. You may want to limit her activity to keep her from jumping up and down since an injury might not have time to heal.

Many people let the chickens sleep on the floor at night so they can stretch and move. It probably depends on the chicken’s condition and problems. Does her lower leg at the ankle appear swollen to you? You can check it in the morning.

For the future, I did not check first, if you already had a thread started about this bird/issue, it would have been best to post this question there in that thread.

Back
Top Bottom