Walking the... uh... Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lord_Cluckers, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Lord_Cluckers

Lord_Cluckers In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Dallas
    Hi. I'm trying to find a system to train my chickens to follow me when on a cat harness, but so far I have had no luck. Can anyone help me?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. Hotttmommi

Hotttmommi Songster

Let me know if you find any ways that actually work. I have a "house chick" that would love to go for walks if I could find a way to do it before she gets too old to train.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Moodene here on BYC makes chicken saddles that she will attach a D-ring to it. Then, you can hook a leash to it and take your chicken for a walk. They work great!

4. Lord_Cluckers

Jun 19, 2009
    Dallas
    Thank you, TaLani. I just got my paycheck, so if I have any after buying something, I might get one. But the second post has me worrying if it's too late to train my chickens. They were all born on about the same day, January 27. Is it too late now to train them?[​IMG]

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I don't know about walking them but I used to have a hen that rode on the handlebars of my bike when I was little.

6. Lord_Cluckers

Jun 19, 2009
    Dallas
    Quote:Lol. I can just see that. [​IMG] I would do that if my chickens actually had a sense of balance... well... at least a better sense of balance.

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Emzyyy, I'd love to see pics of that! [​IMG] How cute!

Lord_Cluckers, I honestly don't know re training. I only got the saddles due to our roo having his fav hens & their feathers not being able to grow back. I had Moodene put a few of the D-rings put on for my daughter when she wanted to walk a few of her fav hens around our property.

All you can do is try I suppose. Let the hen get used to the saddle first though b4 trying to walk them. Our EE hen tried desperately to get hers off & started walking backwards. One of the funniest things I've seen in awhile, that's for sure! She got used to it after a few minutes once she realized that she wasn't going to be able to get it to come off.

The saddles aren't very expensive and actually, there's several BYC'ers who make them. You can do a search in the Buy-Sell-Trade section of the forum. [​IMG]

8. Lord_Cluckers

Jun 19, 2009
    Dallas
    Ok. I got a harness, but there are a few problems.

1. The neck band is always too loose on them and I tightened it all the way.
    2. The chicken seems more interested in her harness than the bread on a string I dangle in front of her.
    3. My chicken always goes her own way, which I don't mind, but then just sits and does nothing.

Anything I might be doing wrong?

9. SangaChicken

SangaChicken Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    I googled it to find others who might share your desire for chicken walking. This.. is hysterical.

10. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: