Want 3 breeds......?

KingsCalls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
New Market,Tn.
Well I should have said 2, because I know Orpingtons are gonna be one of them!
I am having a tough time between the following.............Welsummers...........Barnevelders........Black Copper Marans...........Blue Laced Red Wyndottes
I am only going to have 3 breeds total so that they can be very well taken care of, as I plan on showing each breed.
Anyone who has info on any of these breeds that you have raised, I would love to here the good along with any not so good traits of each
Thanks .

OK - lets talk.

IF Orpingtons are going to be one of your three - - - then remember that they tend to be low on the pecking order. They can be bullied.

So, I would stay away from the Wyandottes. They have aggresive tendencies - - - like to be head chicks. They are calm chickens who are not aggressive towards humans - -- but they like to rule the roost.

Marans - - - I love mine. They have no problems getting along. However, I have spoke to others who have said their Marans were the biggest and baddest in the group. I will be raising more marans because I love their personality... However, I will get rid of any with attitude issues.

I have no personal experience with Welsummers or Barnevelders so I can not say.

Quote:
I can't agree with you on that one. I've had BOs, GLWs and SLWs all together, no bullying whatsoever, and the pecking order seemed to be largely based on age. Our Orpington was actually quite high up!

The only bullies we've had were Leghorn mixes and our Cuckoo Marans did have tendencies, although our experienced rooster did not tolerate any riots in his flock and would immediately interfere with any nastiness.

pips&peeps :

Why don't you get one breed and work on three different varieties. Like buff, black, blue, or white orps.

PIPS........I've done that with Orps in the past. At one time I had 220 Birds.........Blues, Blacks, Whites and Buffs.....both standard and bantam. Due to job loss and having to sell almost every bird I had, I am now getting back into raising again. I just thought I'd try something different. Good advice tho, Orps are great birds and that may be what I do after I try a few different breeds!​

Back
Top Bottom