Want a Good Guard Dog for Chickens

Quote:
They need more than long walks! They are serious thinkers. Its a challange to stay ahead of them,but they are fun fun. You ask for 100% they will give you 120%. Love the breed. They love to play.
Running around the farm with you, chasing a ball, frisbi. I have even worked them on the schutzhund field. They want to be with there person. I do have to admit cattle dogs are very get up and go type. I have had heelers since 87. Thought I may have wanted an Aussie Shep. got one the dog had such high evergy, made my heelers look like lazy laid back couch potatoes. So I guess it really depends on you. What you want I would say get around both breeds and decide which is best for you.
frow.gif
I love my heelers. " Looking for tiny blue female".
wee.gif

I just bought a Pyr from a friend of mine, he's been with chickens and goats since the day he was born. I have had two in past years as house pets. At 3 months old this little guy has chased off my neighbors guineas and broken up Roo spats...I was impressed at such a young age that he knew what to do. The hard part is not bringing him in the house..lol!!

She has one little girl left if anyone is close to me. Time for her to get a chicken or goat home.

The heeler was created to herd wild cattle in the Australian outback. They are the tru Australian. Yes they can tolerate heat very well. Threw my experience they bark when necessary. When one of mine barks you can best believe there is a reason for it. They can be around all my animals. Keep in miind they are biters. If you want to know about the very beginning of the breeds history you have to look up Australian barkers and biters. There are look alikes. If you want the true heeler you need to look for Australian Cattle Dogs. They are reg. with the AKC. These are the ones who follow the true Aust. standard. They have tails, beautiful brush tails. There ancesters are the dingo and several other breeds. Keep in mind Aust. Kelpie, Aust. Stumpy tail all resemble the AuCaDo. BUT, they are not. When they play you will actually her them clap there jaws. When pups you have to teach them not to nip. I have old flannel shirts that have lil tears in them. Ha! Love bites. this is an AuCaDo. My dogs have all been really one person dogs. "MINE" HA! Once trained and they know there job they are a no-nonsence breed. They can clear fences like no tomorrow, keep in mind the job they were bred to do..Once they know whats right and wrong they will be o.k. Its not a breed you can just dump in your yard and forget about. They will create there own activities good or bad. If you want one be prepared to spend a lot of time with him/her. When they are around 2 and trained you will have the best, most devoted friend you could ever ask for. They will even try to out think you. Whats mom gonna do next?
thumbsup.gif

Check out the Akbash breed!

The Akbash is not shy. When used as a guard dog, it is not personable with humans, although the breed is not hostile by nature. The Akbash can be used as a companion dog, and if trained appropriately can be personable with any creature. The Akbash has been bred to be independent and dogs of this breed might think that they know better than their owners during training. The Akbash is a relatively low-energy breed. Because it is in their nature to lie with the flocks they guard most of the day, they do not possess tremendous endurance or energy. That does not mean that they can be confined to small spaces. It is still very much a working breed and is happiest when given a task to complete. These dogs are known for their intelligence, bravery, independence and loyalty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbash_dog

I have a Pyrenees mix - German Shepherd and Pyrenees - and he has more hair than any dog I've ever seen except for a Chow I used to have. It's a dense coat with a super fluffy undercoat, VERY good insulation, but has to be brushed A LOT. He has NO trouble with cold weather, but does suffer in the heat and I clip him down quite close for the summer (a job I wouldn't wish on anyone). But he's the sweetest guy, quiet and gentle, a great livestock protector and is very alert to overhead predators, won't let a hawk or eagle get near his territory. In Florida, though, I think he would suffer a lot from the heat.

You might want to check about the clipping. We just got a GP puppy and I bought a breed specific book on it. What it says is that undercoat is the insulation in the heat for the dog and that their skin is very light and prone to sunburn and they need that coat. Thank goodness we live in WI and don't have to worry about it. Just thought I'd throw out what I just read thsi last month.

Back
Top Bottom