want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

Hey it makes sense, have you ever eaten acyanne pepper? You start getting hot, you start sweating, hey summer is here, we were supposed to start laying last spring, we are late man got to get laying. If you dont have pepper, turn on a light, and put a heater in the hen house, spring is here, got to reproduce, nature calls.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
I would also like a little more clarity on qty of pepper to give, also is this only a winter thing or all year long?

I mix 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper per cup of feed. Any of the hot peppers will do. But not the black peppercorns they're a different type of plant.
ETA: I prefer to mix it with crumbles, and add water for a wet mash. The chickens gobble this up like it's a huge treat.

In the summer, we toss them garden refuse of peppers - jalapeno, hot banana, anaheim, cayenne that are damaged.

1/2 tsp of cayenne added to 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt is good for diarrhea.

Hot pepper like Cayenne is high in vitamins C and A. It helps to protect the intestines from damage due to bacteria and protozoa and has some bactericidal and protozoan suppression qualities. It acts as a tonic. It's also a natural dewormer.

The active ingredient is capsaicin. According to herbal remedies, when taken internally capsaicin can warm the body, raise metabolism, improve weak digestion and increase circulation. All of these improved body functions aide in laying.

I feed it year round, generally once a week or two weeks, except on 90+ degree Summer days. (Not desirable to warm the body on hot days.)

I ALWAYS feed it to any birds that are feeling poorly - to improve body functions as noted above. I feed 1/2 tsp pepper per cup of feed for shipped chicks to reduce pasty butt.

Last edited:
I'm trying this. I have 5 hens that moulted 3-5 months ago and haven't laid since ... we'll see if it works!

Kim_NC - Thanks for the quantities and general info ...

I mix 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper per cup of feed. Any of the hot peppers will do. But not the black peppercorns they're a different type of plant.
ETA: I prefer to mix it with crumbles, and add water for a wet mash. The chickens gobble this up like it's a huge treat.

Thank you for more clarification, I am hoping to start my lazy hens on this sometime in the next week or so. I usually only feed pellets but if crumbles go on sale (as they sometimes do, they arent as popular according to my feed store) I will have to try the mash.​

You're both welcome. Hope it ends up helping you.

Rowzy - I feed free choice pellets as my 'standard' 24/7 feed. I use the mash in the evenings as a treat....and wet it to reduce waste. Also, I go 'up' to a 28% game bird crumble when trying to bring birds out of molt.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

I put the cayenne pepper in my girls' food 2 days ago and today got an egg. The first egg since the first week of October!
wee.gif

Cayennes have been re-added to my garden plans for this year so next winter I will have plenty on hand!

I have two pens one two hens a and a stag and the other one hen and one stag: can the roos eat it to and be okay? Also will it be as effective if I mix it on thier jose guerro feed it's like corn and wheat and all kinds of stuff?

My "chicken guru" told me that chickens do not have the heat receptors that humans do, so the peppers do not burn them. I once put out a tray of the dried crushed red peppers & they went thru it that day, like they couldn't get enough or just liked it. They have always gotten the cayenne pepper daily.

edit for spellcheck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom