Want opinions, please (parrot breeding)

BorderKelpie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
outside Dallas
Ok, here's a (not so) quick run down:
I recently adopted 2 macaws through the bird society of which I am a board member. They were not placed with me as rescues, but as voluntary rehomes. The original owners were no longer able to care for them due to health issues, yadda yadda yadda. These birds, though loved, were a bit mistreated. They have come around beautifully. I can now handle them fairly safely and Zazu is allowing some of his feathers to grow back (he plucked himself moderatly). I got some interesting feedback as to what probably caused his phsycological problems and we have got those issues reversing themselves nicely. (It will make an interesting educational post for another thread). Anyway. The club that placed them with me is trying to get me to place these birds in a breeding program. Ok, here is my dilema:
1) if these birds had to be rehomed, what's to say that there are enough homes for the offspring,
2) breeding them would require me to acquire two more birds as they are not the same species (one's a Greenwing, the other a Blue and Gold), I am so not made of money lol,
3) breeding is such a massive undertaking, time wise, money wise, etc - again, not made of money and I'm a divorced mom of 2 teenagers who does not get child support, and,
4) I am being selfish here, I have wanted a pet macaw since I was a little girl centuries ago (it seems). I picked these birds up on my birthday last year. Seems like that was fate's way of letting me know that I waited long enough and I finally get to realize a dream. Breeding them would make them unsuitable as hands on pets as they would bond with their mates and more than likely become aggressive toward everyone else - myself included.
I was told that breeding them is wise since they are endangered species. I do not see how breeding these birds would improve the chances of their wild counterparts. I can see where it could place even more strain on an already overpopulated pet situation.
Am I missing the point here?
What do you honestly think?
I want to do the right thing.
These are handfed babies that would not be eligible for release into the wild.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

this will sound very strange to say, but breeding those birds will actually decrease the chances of their wild counter parts... people have such a desire to own exotic animals as pets (understandable really) and when we breed in droves like we do with exotic parrots eventually breeders need new breeding stock which is when these guys are pulled from the wild.

You are absolutely right about there being a very very large number of unwanted parrots as it is. If you breed they might possibly end up in a bad situation, some people just dont know how much time effort and energy these guys take, not to mention there is a possibility if you get them late in life that they will outlive you.

If the birds are yours I would say no

Yes, they are mine now. I have been listening to the members 'bug' me for so long about breeding them and my YN Amazon. I guess I was starting to feel that I was wrong since they have been so insistant.
Thank you. I will go home and love on my pet birds.
cool.png

I love my feathered babies.

Greenwing X blue & Gold = Catalina Macaw. That is how they are produced. Very beautiful too. Macaws are not endangered in any way, I would not breed them for that reason. It is alot of work too with handfeeding, etc. plus you lose the pair as hand tame pets. I've bred african Greys for a long time, it's the same thing............

Oh, I would never do the hybrid thing. Not for me. That was another reason not to breed, acquiring more macaws to pair them by species.
I don't think breeding on that scale is for me. I will stick with my chickens, doves and cockatiels. :)

My opinion only: The world so does not need more pets--not of ANY kind! I have a yellow nape Amazon and an African Grey. I've had them for close to 30 years. They are PETS and I offer no apologies to anyone for that. Parrots are such unique individuals. They are so much more than just breeding animals. Leave that for the cows and enjoy your macaws for the very special personalities that they are.

JMO

Rusty

You are absolutely correct. There are wayyyy too many parrots needing homes already. I just don't get why anyone would want to breed parrots since the statistics say about 80% of all parrots purchased will eventually be rehomed. Parrot rescues are already full to the brim with unwanted parrots and breeding just adds to the problem.

I think you should just enjoy your pets! Don't let anyone force you to do otherwise! Rescuing parrots like you've done is an extremely rewarding thing to do! Especially when the bird finally starts to let you touch and handle it. It would be sad to lose that just so the birds can breed.

Not to mention, breeding pairs can be downright nasty! Blue and golds are typically a bit more mellow than the greenwings, but it would still be a dangerous endeavor especially with teenagers in the house. All it takes is one time for the bird to get angry and take off a finger or to cause some other (possibly worse) damage! Not to mention the time it would take to handfeed the babies, as those really make the best pets. I've dealt with parent reared birds before and it takes a loooong time for them to become good pets (Some of them are just naturally people friendly, but if they don't have hands on from an early age, they can become just as nasty as their bonded parents)

I think you are completely in the right here! Your reasoning is sound and rational. I think a lot of times people just see dollar signs and nothing else matters! Yes you can sell the babies for a lot of money, but you won't be able to enjoy the love your birds give you NOW and selling baby parrots just adds to an already increasing problem.

I'd love to see pictures of the lucky two! Thank you so much for adopting them and giving a loving home.

Don't breed the plucker! Don't give up your pets so someone else can have one. You are not equipped to breed. Breeding more pets does not make more wild parrots able to live in their shrinking habitat. Tell "the group" that you have chosen not to breed and thanks for all of their help and suggestions, but for now you are just wanting to give them their best pet home possible.

I have 4 macaws. There are nothing wrong with the hybrids, btw, they are just as sound as the natural breeds except much more beautiful by far. I have a Catalina and she is the best out of my bunch. The sweetest and smartest...and did I mention the most beautiful!

I wouldn't breed. Mine were purchased with the intent of breeding (by my dad - babies that had to be handfed every few hours - and they are like little jackhammers LOL) Now I have all these birds because he didn't realize what all was involved. I chose not to breed them when I got them due to so many parrots end up neglected due to people have no clue until they actually own one. They require as much as little toddlers. I would stick to breeding smaller parrots instead of the larger ones. Also, during breeding season and during breeding they can be very aggresive!

I love my macaws. They are all really awesome birds to have. And they all talk and are pretty sweet. I also have a Mollucan Cockatoo. I LOVE him. He is an awesome bird.

I have one that says "Praise the Lord" One says "Get out! The house is on fire" and one that says "MamAAAAA" SOOOOoooo.. Sometimes when they are all going at it you hear ... "MAMAAAA - Get out! The house is on fire" - "Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord"

LOL LOL

This is the correct combos for hybrids too --

Blue & Gold and a Scarlet equals a Catalina
Blue & Gold and a Greenwing equals a Harliquin
Blue & Gold and a Hyacinth equals a Caloshua
Scarlet and a Greenwing equals a Ruby
Scarlet and a Military equals a Shamrock
Scarlet and a Buffons equals a Verde
Catalina and a Scarlet equals a Camelot
Camelot and a Scarlet equals a Capri
Greenwing and a Military equals a Calico
Military and a Blue & Gold equals a Miligold
Military and a Buffons equals a Miliffons
Buffons and a Greenwing equals a Buffwing
Greenwing and a Calico equals a Cameo
Catalina and a Greenwing equals a Flame

Their feathers can be very valuable. Especially tail feathers. The harlequins are bringing HUGE money these days. I sell mine occasionally and I have gotten $300 for 4 tail feathers before. That was the most...I make enough money off their feathers that it offsets the cost of the feed they consume...which is alot!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom