Want to add a rooster to my flock - need some advice

hugs.gif
Poor little chicken...at least there is the satisfaction in knowing she isn't struggling along anymore.

I think a younger roo is the best option, just put him with the girls at sleeping time. ( You may like to keep it apart sometime but I just put him with the girls right away.)
I have hens for only 2 years but always have a rooster with them. first one came with them was the same age bigger , beautiful, a gentleman... the girls adored him, he wait for them to eat before him & was protective, unfortunately died probably of a sting of an insect as it was sick for about 24 hour before die. Weeks later my friend bring me a big but very young beautiful rooster that was very gentle and sweet, he mature with them, grow his spurs& develop his adult rooster feathers with them, they get along well And he become a very good and protective rooster, he was killed by a "stray rooster" that fought him through the run wire until broke it... I was not home The girls get very depressed and the older one started to try to crow! the funniest thing ever! So we get another roo for them! . Our current rooster is an easter chick raised by a teenage girl as a pet but had to give him in adoption when the neighbor complaint for his (and his brother's crow) , is a very good pet but don't know yet how to be a rooster, he is way too big for the girls, too passionate, and not a gentleman (he eat first and peck them if they get close to him when eating). And every time I enter my hands in the run to put food he peck at me! But if I hold him he turn into a cuddling big thing as he loves to be pet. Now he is keep in a separate cage and I started to let him in with the girls for a day or two, every week... the girls seems to love having him around, specially the younger one :)

You want one that is protective of his hens toward other animals, but not toward people. A good roo is always on the look out for predators.

Mine chases the hens into the coop at night.

Also, one that is a good dad to his chicks. I lost my moma hen once, and my rooster raised those babies like he had hatched them. They followed him around and he was constantly "talking" to them and making all sorts of sounds to them.

... Also, one that isn't to rough when he mates with them. He doesn't grab them by the comb or rip out feathers to do it.

I consider myself lucky to have this roo, because I had a lot of bad ones before him.

I bought 6 chicks. One turned out to be a roo and was deformed or something. Kinda like he had multiple schlerosis or polio or something. He dies about the age that he was ready to start breeding. His mate, bot Plymouth Rocks, is now forming physical difficulties. Not sure which direction that is gonna go. The rest, and I cant remember what they are, however 2 brown, 2 white, 1 a roo, seems to be doing ok but that roo is on those hens all the time. He gonna be a good breeder, I think. And as far as the pecking order, I think that was formed before I even brought them home at a cpl wks old. I Do love hearing that roo crow early in the morning.

It doesn't really matter what age a rooster is. I have baby chicks and they hang out with my rooster. But DON'T mix the rooster and hens when you first get a rooster. Instead put the rooster in a separate pen close to the hens. And when you feel that the rooster & hens are acquainted. you can put the rooster in the hens pen. Only under supervised watch. But also some advice from me, I would get a younger or smaller rooster they're more gentle on the hens.
jumpy.gif

Mrs. K, that's interesting.  I can see the wisdom in that.  I've always thought that chicks raised in a flock get the benefit of the older chickens modeling a lot of behaviors that they can learn from.  I can see where a cockerel maturing in a flock of older females would have to learn to be a little more socially adept or get the snot beat out of him.

This is so true from everything ive seen.

I Have a barred rock rooster that I got from tsc And he was fine but has turned aggressive. My younger silkie roo was protecting the girls from wild turkeys while he was exploring. He has flown and tried to attack me 4 times so my friend is gonna cull him with hers. His naughty behavior is taking the joy out of my chicken keeping.

Roosters are the easiest to introduce to the flock. I have done it twice. Now the problem with roos is they like to wake up and crow at the earliest hours of the morning
How are your neighbors sensitivities? Also is your area o.k with roosters. These are points to consider when adding a rooster. I hope you find the one you want. Try the
different sites on BYC. Good lock
P.S Only on rooster for up to 15 hens too many roos and will there will be fights.

Back
Top Bottom