Want to build a hoop coop, but I don't have cattle panels!

Guys, maybe OP can't afford them or they wouldn't keep veering from them and saying they're not an option for them.
Sorry, I missed that comment, saw their question about how high a bent rebar coop was, not a follow up saying no tools - and while I have hickey bars for bending rebar, and they aren't real expensive (about $35 ea), they are NOT what I'd use to bend an arch as big as a hoop coop. I'd just vice it to a wall, grab the other side, and gently walk it up till I had the desired spacing between ends.

Sorry, I missed that comment, saw their question about how high a bent rebar coop was, not a follow up saying no tools - and while I have hickey bars for bending rebar, and they aren't real expensive (about $35 ea), they are NOT what I'd use to bend an arch as big as a hoop coop. I'd just vice it to a wall, grab the other side, and gently walk it up till I had the desired spacing between ends.
No, i was talking about the cattle pannels or whatever it was.

Conduit bender. Sorry I'm an electrican
Can be tricky to bend that large a radius on plane.....for the inexperienced.

There are multiple feed stores AND a place called Steel & Fence Supply - all located in San Jose. I'd imagine one of them carries them and is not a 40-mile drive
I think transport is the biggest issue....no matter how far away the store is.

Can be tricky to bend that large a radius on plane.....for the inexperienced.
Yeah, I was just correcting the term. While I'm at it what ya'll calling conduit is most likely EMT (electrical metallic tubing). It's the lightweight stuff what most people use. IMC (intermediate metal conduit) or ridged conduit are both heavy and more expensive. Again sorry I'm an electrican. Walk into a big box using the incorrect term you most likely gonna get the wrong item.

Yeah, I was just correcting the term. While I'm at it what ya'll calling conduit is most likely EMT (electrical metallic tubing). It's the lightweight stuff what most people use. IMC (intermediate metal conduit) or ridged conduit are both heavy and more expensive. Again sorry I'm an electrican. Walk into a big box using the incorrect term you most likely gonna get the wrong item.

You are correct. I think what I am thinking of is the EMT as it is definitely not heavy.

I just completed my own cattle panel coop. The picture is at the almost done stage. I see this is a couple week so if your still looking...My issue was how would I get them home. 16 ft doesn't fit in a pickup. Was shocked at how easily they bent. The girl at TSC knew exactly what to do. We just bent them and fit them in the back of the pickup and ran rope through each corner so it wouldn't pop back into shape on the highway. There are a couple good "how to" load cattle panels on youtube. When we unloaded they popped right back to shape. I bought 5 that rode fine in a normal sized pickup.

Your question about height. I'm 6 foot and had the same thought that i wanted to be able to stand up. I used 2x8 and attached them 2 inches from the top edge of the 2x8 and probably have easily 6 inches of clearance in the middle of the coop. I made mine 8 foot wide by 20 foot long. My reason for going 8 foot wide was I could cover half the pen with my 10 x 16 foot tarp.

Good luck

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I just completed my own cattle panel coop. The picture is at the almost done stage. I see this is a couple week so if your still looking...My issue was how would I get them home. 16 ft doesn't fit in a pickup. Was shocked at how easily they bent. The girl at TSC knew exactly what to do. We just bent them and fit them in the back of the pickup and ran rope through each corner so it wouldn't pop back into shape on the highway. There are a couple good "how to" load cattle panels on youtube. When we unloaded they popped right back to shape. I bought 5 that rode fine in a normal sized pickup.

Your question about height. I'm 6 foot and had the same thought that i wanted to be able to stand up. I used 2x8 and attached them 2 inches from the top edge of the 2x8 and probably have easily 6 inches of clearance in the middle of the coop. I made mine 8 foot wide by 20 foot long. My reason for going 8 foot wide was I could cover half the pen with my 10 x 16 foot tarp.

Good luck
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom