Want to can... a little intimidated!

Can anyone think of a reason not to use the old canning jars that came with this old farmhouse? I have hundreds of them. There are even some of the old blue ones down there in the basement. Can they be used with modern lids?

I'm using some very old jars that my MIL gave me. I hand wash and inspect each one, making sure there's no chips around the rim. So far i've only canned 6 pints of salsa but all sealed and we opened the first one last night and it lasted about 15 minutes before it was gone.
smile.png

You can also put some cream of tartar in the water to eliminate part of the mineral scum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a cool tip I've never heard...but will try!! Thanks!​

Quote:
I checked the prices on canning jars lately....Walmart has a 12pk of jelly jars (with white decorative lids & rings) for $13.48.... & I ended up getting the same exact 12pk set of jelly jars for $8.59 at a local hardware store.
smile.png
Walmart also has a 12 pk of Quart jars (with lids & rings) for $17.+ ..... & on this past wkend I happened to visit our local Big Lots & they have currently a 12 pk of jelly jars (with lids & rings) for only $6.50
ep.gif
& they also have a 12pk of Quart jars (also with rings & lids) for only $7.00
ep.gif
. Only a 50cent difference, Nice. Big Lots is DEFINATELY a place to shop for canning jars.
clap.gif
wee.gif

I have been canning (everything) for about 40 years...I learned from my grandmother, mother, aunts, etc. If I could only have one canner, it would be a pressure canner. Things requiring a water bath can be brought up to 5# pressure and immediately turned off and you get the same effect as 10 minutes in a water bath and it does not hurt the food. I do this with all my pickles, jams, jellies, etc. and have never had a jar go bad. Follow the care and cleaning instructions that come with your canner and there will not be a problem with it "blowing up"! Any pressure cooker will blow if the steam hole is plugged. Make sure it is clear (I just hold it up to the light and look through it) before you start. Do not try to cool down the cooker rapidly when you are canning. This will cause the vacuum that is formed to suck all the liquid out of your jars. I just slide it off the burner on the cool one next to it and let it sit until the pressure completely falls. A jar lifter is the next greatest tool you can have. The jars are always wet and if they are hot, the hot liquid soaks into any towel you use and you always get burned unless you have the patience to wait until they are completely cold! I keep a place mat sized hot mat on the counter to move the jars onto and check to make sure all have sealed and cooled before putting them away. If they don't seal (occasionally one won't) put the jar in the fridge and use it within a couple of weeks. It is as sterile as the ones that sealed, it just won't keep. If you try to put another flat on and cook it again with the next batch, you will have a jar of mush so don't do it. It's really easy and you can do it!

Quote:
I'll have to check
smile.png
Thanks.

Anyone have info on Soups? Particularly Italian Wedding soup... I know it's a soup, but has the bits of meat...so does it Need to be pressure canned then? I use premade meatballs that I just cut into 8 chunks, but it's still meat. I just read how you don't wanna over process noodles or any pasta in soups while canning, so how do you keep them firm yet get the meat safely precessed in the soup too? I mean companies like Campbells & others have glass jars on shelves in stores of soups that have both the pasta & the meat in it.
hmm.png

Quote:
You can use old canning jars as long as the lids fit tightly. Don't use old lids. You need to make sure you're going to get a good seal.

The blue ones are almost collector's items, anymore.

Back
Top Bottom