Want to get some marans

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flowerchild59, Dec 23, 2010.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I absolutely love the diversity of color of eggs from my mixed breed flock (have over 12 breeds from a hatchery special), but would love to have some marans just for the thrill of seeing a darker egg now and then. Is that a silly enough reason for getting a few more birds?
    I wish I could find someone "culling" for a few imperfections but have hens that throw fabulous eggs. But would be willing to hatch out some in a couple of months in my incubator. Actually, a friend of mine is a teacher and wants to hatch some in her classroom so I wouldn't even have to drag out an incubator. Sweet.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    That's not a bad reason at all if you ask me [​IMG] That's how I ended up adding 5 more to my flock... I started with two BRs and a BO but just LOVED Marans so this past July I hatched out eight of them. I gave the three roos away and kept one becuase he turned out to be a drop dead gorgeous Blue Copper. I'm now waiting on those beautiful eggs from the 4 hens.... Can't wait!!!

I say go for it... Personally I'd hatch them cuz that was the most fun part [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am getting some for the same reason lol

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, yes yes! I absolutely LOVE my egg basket. I now have light tan, darker tan, olive green, blue, dark brown, and cream colored eggs. My only black copper marans is a roo but his offspring (mixed breed) lay gorgeous dark brown eggs and also gave me my first olive egger. I must get some pictures....

My neighbors son had chickens and ducks and recently moved out in a huff and conveniently dropped his flock over into my fenced yard...lol. I'd been taking care of them anyway. I was going to rehome them though - I thought I had more than enough of my own but the very next day 3 of his four hens layed eggs and one was the prettiest creamy off white with a gorgeous sheen. I am now the proud owner of 2 more peking drakes- huge fat ducks lol, a cayuga drake, four hens and a handsome rooster. Chicken math wins again.

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's a perfect reason to get more Chickens.That is what I did this summer.I already had EE's and some brown egg layers but oh the call of the darker egg.I now have 5 Marans that just started laying about 6 weeks ago.The eggs from my Marans are quite a variety of dark colors too_One is almost a deep rosie brown.My Marans are not SQ and I have seen plenty of much darker eggs but I am happy with what I have.I am not trying to have SQ so I am not disappointed with what I have.

6. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I agree with everyone that has responded ... If you want darker eggs.. that is plenty reason. I got 4 as a bonus in an auction order and was thrilled.. only one hatched and with my luck it will be a roo.. but never hurts to try.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by