Want to take a guess?

JulesFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Hi!

I just hatched cream legbars, EE, jersey giant, and barred Plymouth rocks. 2 chicks are standing out and I'm not sure which group they belong to.

My guess is the dark one is a jersey giant but he's so much bigger than the others but he has different coloring so maybe a large PBR?

Both EEs look like chipmunks. However, 2 are all yellow w a hint of light/med tan. This pic is of the 1 that is nearly entirely yellow.

Any guesses?

On the yellow chick, my guess is Buff Orp or New Hampshire...time will tell.

On the suspected Jersey Giant, look at the soles of the feet. Are they yellow? If not, probably PBR if there is a head dot. If no head dot, might be a BSL.
LofMc

I just caught you hatched these? From eggs from a hatchery? Breeder?

Then my answers will change if you know those can only be the breed choices...the black one is likely a Jersey Giant.

Yellow one looks to be a wheaten throw back possibly from the Legbar line. EE's should have green legs and have beards and muffs if the Ameraucana was used to create the EE. If Araucana, they should still have the green legs.

LofMc

Last edited:
Am I understanding this correctly? Did you hatch them yourself or did you get hatching eggs from someplace else? I'm thinking the one on top is a Jersey Giant which doesn't just come in black but comes in Blue and White as well. The one on the bottom is probably part of the EE group I can see small muffs. Another thing to keep in mind is sometimes color changes or at least gets much more clear to understand as the bird ages

Thank you!!

Yes, I hatched them myself but from a friend who has a local farm. He wasn't sure of fertility so he threw in a lot of extras. I had originally asked for PBR, Jersey Giant, and what he calls Americanas which I assume to be EE, although he could have Americanas, he only sells eggs, not the birds or hatching eggs. He has Rhode Island reds as well and unless he forgot to mention a breed, I think that's all he has. The yellows couldn't be RIR could they? Everything I see online says they'll have red of some kind on them. The yellowest chick has very little if any color other than yellow. Can't wait to see what these turn into.

My big chick has a faint head dot and a yellowish color, not bright yellow, on the bottom of his feet. He's almost completely gray, very little variation.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom