1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

want vs. need: how many chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Meesh, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Hi, we have changed around our plans for Spring and I'll be able to use a bigger shed for the chicken coop. It will be sized for max of 16. However, I really only need 8-10 chickens to keep the family well-egged.

So how much more work are 16 chickens versus 8???

We also changed plans around so that the coop is going into the big, fenced garden and we are making a 'tractor' - greenhouse frame - that will go over my veggies. It will make my veggie garden very small, but I will like that. I always end up completely overwhelmed by the garden because it's too darned big. Anyway, I will be the one in the tractor when I tend my veggies. The chickens will have a good laugh. [​IMG] I think I can also cover the frame with plastic in Fall and use it as a sheltered chicken tunnel for winter...

So I have simplified my setup, should I complicate things by having more chickens? Or is 8 enough work for a raw beginner? I do have horses and dogs, and am used to daily chores...

Seems like the chickens can't be THAT much extra work. Or can they???

Cheers,
    Michelle

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say go for it. Some how I said I was gong to down size for college and went as low as like 8 birds... some how I now have 22 adults with a full order of chicks on the way and am building my 4th little coop (breeder pen).

As long as all 16 are in the same place, it's really not that much more work, just 2x food consumed and thus 2x poo.

3. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Heck, what'a a few more hens. More work than 8 - 10? Naw. It sounds as if that is what you really want and are just looking for support. Well, you came to the right place for it. You won't find any disagreement from any of us chicken fanatics here. [​IMG] JUST DO IT! [​IMG]

4. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    You came to the right place like Yogiman said if you want to bel told go ahead, why not, or you can never have too many

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Aun <HIS><

Aun <HIS>< Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] Huh? Whadya mean?
    If you WANT more, then you NEED more. I don't understand the question.

[​IMG]

6. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    With the 8 more you can sell the eggs and have the girls pay for there own feed. We are just starting and all ready have folks calling and stoping buy to see if we have eggs for sell yet! LOL

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I also say go for it, 8 more chickens isn't that much more work really. Good luck with what you decide.

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have had as few as 8 anything past that no one in my house is aloud to count!

I have always had the same amount of work.

I also have bantam cochins for my garden small feather feet they won't pull out plants!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  9. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    should I complicate things by having more chickens?

With all due respect, ARE YOU CRAZY? Asking chicken lovers if you should double your flock or not? [​IMG]

It's like this,
    I am single,
    I live alone,
    I am trying to move to a small farm so I can have more than the five chickens I have
    as it stands now they give me more eggs than I need.
    And I want more...duh!!

Now what was your question??? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Need? Three.

Have? Twenty-two.

Want? We probably shouldn't even go there.

How can you worry too much about anything that turns Japanese beetles into eggs and fertilizer?

We have far more eggs than we can use ourselves. We feed some to the dogs (they have beautiful coats), give some to the neighbors so they won't mind being woken by a rooster so much, and take them as hostess gifts when we're invited out to dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by