WANTED Bantam Cochin

abbey2140

Songster
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
North Branch, MI
Looking for bantam COLUMBIAN cochin eggs/chick. We have a trio but don't think he is fertile.
sad.png
Unless he just isnt "doing it right" lol.

I have columbians but all my girls are broody right now. Your hen is gorgeous!! Did you get them from Tom or Jamie?

I think your roo is probably fine. Cochins are extremely fluffy and sometimes need artificially inseminated or trimmed heavily in order to reproduce. Once you trim, you should notice fertility right away. Good Luck and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

eta: Oh yeah, I've been looking for someone else on here that has nice columbians to trade eggs with to widen my gene pool. Would you be interested in trading eggs once mine start up again and you work out your fertility issue?

btw: Trimming should be done in a 3" circle around the vent. Some breeders prefer to pluck but trimming is easier. Cut feathers as close to the skin as possible on your roos and your hens.

Last edited:
Trim those butts! I had near zero fertility in my bantam cochins -- until I did some butt trimming. That did the trick, and now I'm swimming in little cochinettes!
smile.png

yay!!! u guys have me all excited now!! I need to go get pictures lol. Ive got a trio, one of them is at POL and the other two are pre-teens lol cant wait till they grow into big huge fluff butts!......right now there mini fluff butts. i can post a couple of pictures on here so u can see or PM you them because I got them for Msbear on here and the babies already have some nice cushions. that way you can see what they look like in case you want to trade with her.....or you could always go to her page or im sure shed love to post pictures for you
wink.png

would love to trade eggies. As an update we have 3 babies!!!!! The odd thing to me is 2 have black saddles and the 3rd has yellow saddle. They are only 1 week old so I have no idea what the are going to look like. I am too used to brahma babies that all look the same at hatch.

I'll try to get pics of the babies to post.

Trimmin will affect how they are shown but not at a 4H level. At a bigger show with some stiff competition, a judge would examine more closely.

Is the bird on your avatar yours? I saw the pic on another website so I wasn't sure.

As for saddle colors... the darker the saddle, the more black your birds will have in adulthood. sometimes this means black flecking in the white areas of the back
hmm.png
or just means strong contrast between the black and white markings which is nice.

I find that when chicks hatch with light gray saddles, they can lack enough black to make them a nice breeder.

I have never hatched one with a yellow saddle?? will be interested to see how that little booger turns out.

On a side note, a very experienced cochin breeder on here told me that when you breed a white bird, you should look for the chicks that hatch white. Yellowy downed chicks will have a tendency to yellow later in life which isn't good. Im kinda keeping an eye on mine to see if this is true with columbians as well.

Abbey 2140 I have bantam cochins Roos and Hens black, blue and some with lace collars of Biege.never had to trim they just take care of business.have 2 babies, born July 18.
I have pic in my cell LoL cant get them on here.

Last edited:
Update to the no baby situation. We now have 8 new babies in addition to the previous 3!!!

Curious though, anyone that breeds these columbian cochins, have you ever noticed a difference in the color of the babies? We have some that are pure white and others that have black on the backs and heads. Is this the difference between male and female?

Back
Top Bottom