Wanted : Does anyone know how to DIY pet cremation?

A couple of winters ago we had a deer that must have got hit by a car, run into my back yard before it died. I didn't trust the meat because I didn't know how long it had been there. So I built a bonfire and burned it. You just keep adding wood till it is all gone.

After a raccoon killed our three chickens we decided to cremate them prior to burial- we didn't want anything that the predators could dig up. I dug a pit, built a big bonfire, there was one unexpected thing- it made our property smell like fried chicken for two or three days.

I decided to view that as a last going away gift from our birds, a sweet smell lingering... But I want you guys to be aware in advance of that possibility when deciding how to handle things.

For those who can not bury pets or cremate them, here is the hair brained idea, dunno if it would work or make it worse. Feel free to add the ideas along.

Find a HUGE clay pot that you can plant things in for your patio, you can spread the ashes or the body in the pot and give some good layers of soil on top of it. (would it smell? I honestly don't know) Plant some surface flowers on top of it. That pot would give the rememberance of your pet.

For those who can not bury pets or cremate them, here is the hair brained idea, dunno if it would work or make it worse. Feel free to add the ideas along.

Find a HUGE clay pot that you can plant things in for your patio, you can spread the ashes or the body in the pot and give some good layers of soil on top of it. (would it smell? I honestly don't know) Plant some surface flowers on top of it. That pot would give the rememberance of your pet.

If there is a few inches of soil over it, it should work fine.

hi,
Find someone with a kiln and put him in a saggar. A saggar is a container like a clay jar, or even fire brick made into a box so the ashes won't fly around onto the ware. that would work. make sure the kiln is going to cone 10. the person with the kiln will know what that means.
sorry about your guy.....
parmesan

You can plant a tree....there is no need of a lots of money...and it will more touchy...when you choose Fruitfull tree(like orange,apple etc)... so every fruit remember you again and again...Otherwise you can get keepsake urns in $14.95 only...

http://www.memorials.com/Keepsakes/Protected-by-Angels-Worry-Keepsake-Stone.php

quality is really very good...before 4 weeks...i lost my two dogs...then i get two cremation urns from here...

when my son passed away last year i decided i wanted to plant a cherry tree on his grave and so when the birds eat the fruit i will remeber my son by it

but the cemerty didnt allow it so i am going to plant a cheery tree in my garden [just waiting for the sapling to come into season so i can buy one]

Habibs Hens, what a beautiful way to remember your son.

I've never cremated a chicken, but... when my pet rats die, rather than pay the $150 charge I take a large unglazed terra cotta pot, put a piece of tile in the bottom to plug the hole, and build a fire in our backyard fire pit. When it gets good and hot, I place the rat in the pot (I put the body in a paper bag - makes things easier) and put the pot in the fire. It takes about three hours, and there are usually some bones and teeth left. After everything cools, I pour the ashes into a decorative urn that hold the remains of all the rest of my lovely ratties that have passed on. When we one day buy our retirement house, I plan to put the ashes in a flower bed and have a small marker.

One more idea - I've heard of people using an old lidded stainless steel or cast iron pot in the same way as I used a terra cotta pot, that they reserve just for cremations. The terra cotta pot usually cracks, so that might be a better idea.

It's been really interesting reading about different peoples' practices and attitudes when they lose a beloved pet.

Few year late in reply but have a good idea for you
Wrap him in foil paper and insert him in the oven for a long period of time her will tern to ashes, May he RIP!

Our adult daughter's old cat died. The cat was a great traveler living with our daughter on her sailboat. Our daughter wanted the cat's ashes, not a burial at sea or on land.
We cleaned our fire pit. Put down a square peice of metal roofing. We laid a flat fire, laid Chicago cat wrapped in 100% cotton pillow case on top, then covered the cat with a large teepee of scrap oak flooring. We lit the fire and kept adding wood for an hour and a half. We put a box fan on the fire to make it burn hotter. We also took another peice of roofing metal folded in an arch over the fire to direct the heat back to the fire. After the hour and a half we let the fire die down. My husband used a heavy peice of lumber on end to move the largest peices of embers out of the fire and used the timber to break down a few of the bones. He kept pushing the remains of Chicago cat and the fire wood into the center. The fan burned the fire down quickly. Our daughter then collected the remains in three clean glass spice jars. One to keep, one to scatter elsewhere, one for a friend. The ashes left on the metal roofing she scattered in a shady quiet corner of our yard.

Back
Top Bottom