Wanted feed back on raising Quail

Dobelovr23

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2018
I'm new to this forum and I'm planning on buying 5 coturnix 1 1:4 male to female ratio just for eggs right now but hoping I'll grow a pair and use them for meat once I'm comfortable with the incubation and hatching process cause i know I will get attached to the ones I'm buying I'm going to be housing them in a rabbit hutch this is the one I ordered. https://m.ebay.com/itm/36-Wooden-Ch...d-Hutch-Poultry-Cage-Waterproof-/252363200956
As far as feed I was considering growing my own this year along with some fruit and veggies and mealworm. I was wondering if Quinoa,, oats, sprouts, millet, cucumber, cabbage and strawberries would be a good diet along with mealworms. Also any additional things to put in their cage that they would appreciate like huts or perches if necessary i want them to be happy Any additional feedback on would be greatly appreciated :D

If I were you I'd apply Thompson Water Seal then paint with 2 coats of oil base paint, if your using it outdoors?
As far as feed is concerned:
As far as feed I was considering growing my own this year along with some fruit and veggies and mealworm. I was wondering if Quinoa,, oats, sprouts, millet, cucumber, cabbage and strawberries would be a good diet along with mealworms.
These are all fine for treats. They need a good 24% protein feed that has vitamins and minerals to maintain health. HTH

I don't know how well they will do in that coop. I know some people have had quail use ramps, but I've put quail in a similar hutch temporarily and never really saw them use the ramp or to up to the top. If you can find a one level rabbit hutch it may work better as it gives them more room, and then you can always fence off the bottom to make a second cage. That's what I did with mine, and I can easily put 4-5 quail on each level. Just looking at your link, this one looks more like mine: https://www.ebay.com/p/36-Wooden-Chicken-Coop-Hen-House-Pet-Animal-Cage-Rabbit-Hutch-With-Gift-Feeder/23009916798?iid=112725132042&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=50998&meid=2ab046956986430f8d2d690cc31d30d4&pid=100623&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=252363200956&itm=112725132042&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Here's a pic of mine. When it is cold/very rainy, I put the clear shower curtain over them to block wind/rain.
quail pens 2.jpg

As far as what to put in their cage to make them happy, quail don't perch. If you can give them deep bedding like pine shavings and/or hay, they love playing in that and digging holes to lay in. They will also appreciate a little sand box to dust bathe in. I've tried to give mine little huts or rabbit houses to go into, but they seem to much prefer open space. Mealworms and some berries are always appreciated, and they like leftover bread when I give it to them very occasionally. I tried giving mine calcium blocks (like for parakeets, you can see one on the top cage front) but they don't care about them. They do like/need crushed oyster shell, and of course need a high protein diet.

I had one female quail survive mishandling by usps out of 18 birds. I am looking for some friends for her but in the meantime she is enjoying her upstairs sand bath by walking up the ramp.
20180323_135216.jpg

I don't know how well they will do in that coop. I know some people have had quail use ramps, but I've put quail in a similar hutch temporarily and never really saw them use the ramp or to up to the top. If you can find a one level rabbit hutch it may work better as it gives them more room, and then you can always fence off the bottom to make a second cage. That's what I did with mine, and I can easily put 4-5 quail on each level. Just looking at your link, this one looks more like mine: https://www.ebay.com/p/36-Wooden-Chicken-Coop-Hen-House-Pet-Animal-Cage-Rabbit-Hutch-With-Gift-Feeder/23009916798?iid=112725132042&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=50998&meid=2ab046956986430f8d2d690cc31d30d4&pid=100623&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=252363200956&itm=112725132042&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Here's a pic of mine. When it is cold/very rainy, I put the clear shower curtain over them to block wind/rain.
View attachment 1307631

As far as what to put in their cage to make them happy, quail don't perch. If you can give them deep bedding like pine shavings and/or hay, they love playing in that and digging holes to lay in. They will also appreciate a little sand box to dust bathe in. I've tried to give mine little huts or rabbit houses to go into, but they seem to much prefer open space. Mealworms and some berries are always appreciated, and they like leftover bread when I give it to them very occasionally. I tried giving mine calcium blocks (like for parakeets, you can see one on the top cage front) but they don't care about them. They do like/need crushed oyster shell, and of course need a high protein diet.
I’ve got bobwhites in North central Texas, it took 2 months but they do now use ramp to go to upper coop, even though not laying season yet for them. So not sure if will lay on ground floor sand, coop, brooder boxes. Hope pictures will help. Backyard setup.

Attachments

• 0841F80F-E2F5-4F7F-8834-048A1905A6C2.jpeg
    0841F80F-E2F5-4F7F-8834-048A1905A6C2.jpeg
    658.5 KB · Views: 10
  • BB74C026-7649-4AAD-9ED5-BE2EFD45B1DD.png
    BB74C026-7649-4AAD-9ED5-BE2EFD45B1DD.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
I had one female quail survive mishandling by usps out of 18 birds. I am looking for some friends for her but in the meantime she is enjoying her upstairs sand bath by walking up the ramp.View attachment 1308505
She is a cutie :love I was thinking about using this instead there is still a ramp but it's larger and more open I don't want them on wire I'd like to mimic the habitat they would live in if they were in the wild I want to put a nice sized dust box for them as well! https://m.ebay.com/itm/65-Chicken-C...-Wooden-Rabbit-House-Wood-Hutch-/262942028399
I would block off the windows in the winter but I think they would enjoy this more than the one I ordered :D

:lol::lol:
I’ve got bobwhites in North central Texas, it took 2 months but they do now use ramp to go to upper coop, even though not laying season yet for them. So not sure if will lay on ground floor sand, coop, brooder boxes. Hope pictures will help. Backyard setup.
Lovely set up that's what I'm shooting for i assumed they would adapt to a ramp since ive seen others use ramps i just want to provide a large open space and large closed off space so when it's cold they aren't cramped together

If I were you I'd apply Thompson Water Seal then paint with 2 coats of oil base paint, if your using it outdoors?
As far as feed is concerned:
As far as feed I was considering growing my own this year along with some fruit and veggies and mealworm. I was wondering if Quinoa,, oats, sprouts, millet, cucumber, cabbage and strawberries would be a good diet along with mealworms.
These are all fine for treats. They need a good 24% protein feed that has vitamins and minerals to maintain health. HTH
What would you recommend I grow that would fit their diet needs? I know quinoa is used as a protein supplement for people but I honestly don't know what grains would be ideal for them and as far as protein what would I mix in besides egg shells?

View attachment 1307631

Where can I get crushed oyster shells? Would mealworms daily be to much protein

My local co-op and Tractor Supply Company have oyster shell. There's usually a small bag that's about $6, or last time I found a giant 50 pound bag for $9.99. I got the giant bag since I have 4 chickens also, then just put some in a heavy-duty bag of some kind and hammer it a bit to crush it into smaller pieces for the quail. Just put it in a little dish on the side and they'll eat it as needed.

Here's a little bag on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Manna-Pro-...pID=51LWtW-DmjL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Back
Top Bottom