Wanted to share my coop progress!

Does the window give 1 square foot of ventilation per bird?

The ratio I think you’re thinking of is 1 square foot of ventilation per 10 square foot of coop floor space
Both are bandied about.
The more ventilation the better.

Final answer is same temps and humidity inside the coop as outside the coop.....
.....with some lag throughout the day and night.

The ratio I think you’re thinking of is 1 square foot of ventilation per 10 square foot of coop floor space and the answer to that is yes!

Whichever is larger. Or whatever your need to get the temperature and humidity the same in and out. :)

In my climate I have a 4x8 -- space for 8 adults -- with 16 square feet of permanent ventilation and 10 more square feet of supplemental ventilation, but still needed to add shade. :D

Connecticut should be easier to keep a coop comfortable.

Nice job, however, I would recommend a couple of things. 1. Cover your field wire uo 3 feet from the ground with Hardware cloth so a raccoon cannot grab a chicken through the fence. 2. Your coop is uncovered and since you used cattle fencing you need to cover it with Hardware cloth to the ceiling. The problem is not keeping your chickens in but the predators out. A mink, weasel, snake etc can easily get through the openings in cattle and field fencing. Any opening larger than 1" needs to be covered or you may have some unhappy consequences. It doesn't hurt to be cautious!

Nice job, however, I would recommend a couple of things. 1. Cover your field wire uo 3 feet from the ground with Hardware cloth so a raccoon cannot grab a chicken through the fence. 2. Your coop is uncovered and since you used cattle fencing you need to cover it with Hardware cloth to the ceiling. The problem is not keeping your chickens in but the predators out. A mink, weasel, snake etc can easily get through the openings in cattle and field fencing. Any opening larger than 1" needs to be covered or you may have some unhappy consequences. It doesn't hurt to be cautious!
It never hurts to be cautious of course, we’ve already purchased chicken wire to put another layer over as it’s not completely finished. Thank you for your input though.

It never hurts to be cautious of course, we’ve already purchased chicken wire to put another layer over as it’s not completely finished. Thank you for your input though.

The problem with chicken wire is not just the size of the openings but the weak wire.

Dogs and raccoons can tear right through it. :(

The problem with chicken wire is not just the size of the openings but the weak wire.

Dogs and raccoons can tear right through it. :(
That is why I went with one layer of cattle fencing, for the strength and durability and am adding one laying (on the inside) of chicken wire for hole size.

Back
Top Bottom