***********WANTED***************

Man, y'all are sharp.
woot.gif

Sharp as a tack...well, okay thats debateable
smile.png
How long have you lived in Hartsville?? What kind of chickens do you have...maybe we could do some chicken trading since we live so near one another. I am wanting some light brahmas for sure. We went out to BuffOrps in Waxhaw Saturday and picked up a couple of her goats. My dh saw her brahmas and now he wants us to get some.

Do you ever go to the sale in Darlington?

Hey! I would love to sell you my little doeling. She is reg. 1/2 grad nubian [truely, 3/4 nubian, 1/4 alpine]. ust do me a favor, DON'T GO TO THE AUCTION!!!!!!!!!! We have made that mistake too many times. If you already have goats they could give them diseases, two of the three goats we got from an auction tested Positive for CAE, we bought a terrified pygmy cross doe and her doe kid and they broke out of the pen ten minutes after we got them [that was over a year ago, and thye haven't came back]. The goats you get there will most likely be terrifed, and will probably be very poor milkers. Contact the ADGA and get a membership book or whatever, it has the list of every member in the U.S., what they have, and contact info. If you go, you are sure making a big mistake. They will probably have horns too, and extra teats, and anemic, wormy, ill, bad feet, CAE, CL, John's, diarhea, etc. Although I adore the goats I got there, we had our problems. We purchased a little alpine cross doeling for $12.50 and a nubian buckling for $18. The alpine was so sickly and anemic she died during the surgical dehorning. The buckling lived and is now a wonderful healthy wether named Simon. But, the whole operation cost $300. And he has the worst conformation. So go to www.adga.org and do what is right. Buy from a repetable breeder. They will be great milkers, healthy, happy, no horns, etc. Oh, and don't just get one.
Ashlyn

Yes, you have to be smart and know what your looking at at an auction and not bid with your heart, but there are great animals to be found at sales at much better prices than breeders offer on site. There is a couple of large goat dairies in the area that sell their culls at the Darlington auction. While the goats may not produce enough for a large farm, they will produce more than enough for the average family. These are beautiful, healthy, tested goats.

I would never bring an animal home because I felt sorry for it, or it needed mothering. If I absolutely couldn't resist..you should be smart enough to keep it quarentined. I know many folks that sell at both barns. Not everyone is out to stick you, some people just enjoy buying and selling auction style.

Last edited:
Oh, I guess I have just been to the ''bad ones''. I have been to two. The one out here is in the middle of a large town. It sits on less than in acre and somehow they cram 1000 cattle, 50 pigs, 20 dairy calves, 200 sheep, 200 goats, a few equines, and an occaisional lama into an old, run-down barn. I have seen some terrible diseases, foot rot, CAE, emaciated, prolapses, tiny kids that need milk, and some nasty people food there.
lol.png
:pIf it is a good one, and you either take a friend or can choose wisely, go for it.
Ashlyn

Last edited:
If you want a guarantee as to the suitability of the auction in Jefferson, I would defer to the opinions of an experienced farmer/breeder. That there is good and bad in any demographic goes without saying. I can tell you, there were a lot of birds; chickens, ducks, and even a peacock and peahen, when I was there. Also, there was a guy in ill health who had to sell off the majority of his herd, which would account for the abundance of goats there that night. I can also tell you, the farmers/breeders there will inform you whether the animal you're considering is not up to par. Granted, the informant may not be the seller. But finding out one way is as good as another, I think. Anyway, you just have to listen.
Regarding the Darlington auction, hubby and I've often said we would like to go there, but the time they're open is inconvenient for us to go as a couple, or else it's not Thursday when I think of going on my own. That's a joke. Can you imagine? Ha! But you gotta know the good ol' boys in Darlington to appreciate the humor in it, maybe.

By the way, I've been in SC since 2001. -K

By the way, I have, like six reddish orange chickens, maybe eight that are all black, three or four that look blue or purple in the sun, a few that are black with reddish orange mixed in on their breasts, some buff colored ones, two barred rocks, (these are the only two I can identify by breed), one that is white with kind of lacey rust lining its wing feathers. Also I have some smaller ones, which are black with white on their breasts. They're more aggressive, and not my favorites (frying pan fodder). I have one who looks just like a dove, and is just as sweet but exceedingly larger than a dove. By the way, I call her Dove. Then there's Einstein, who is speckled with black, rust, and white. He's smarter than the rest, but especially smarter than Rosco, whose one of my biggest. He is more mottled than speckled but mostly gray with black lacing. Gloria is my female barred rock and she has issues with getting in and out of the hen house. She hesitates momentarily btn just hopping out or flying out. Then, she gets herself together and flaps really hard, gets some lift and flies out. I cheer her on every morning. Except for the little black and white @#!#$s, my chickens are, in my opinion, very large. I think they're mostly purebred, but unless I separate them, their offspring won't be. I started w/ 26, one died w/n days of getting them, my four-year-old knelt on another (a black and white one) and the other day, the wind blew a piece of plywood onto another and broke its back. It took the perspective of one very sage individual on this site to help me through that. I thank that person but can't remember the name. Anyway, gtg. -K

Last edited:
Thanks for the info
big_smile.png
I definetly look into that site.
How exciting to find neighbors on this forum!

GwenFarm- Too bad we are not neighbors I could have watched your children for you!! lol
I have four kids to keep yours busy so they would be nice and tired by the time you guys get back
gig.gif

We've been in SC since 2003. My DH is from North Cali.
So if you see a dark haired man with no southern accent looking lost with an oriental gal (me) at the auction, that's got to be us
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom