Wanting a goat male/female?

MakelaNJoe

Chirping
Apr 26, 2015
Northern California
So i know pretty much nothing about goats! I mean other then the obvious a place to sleep food water plenty of land to roam... but today i started thinking i really want to start getting a couple more animals i already have 6 dogs pit heeler mix and 3 Chihuahua 2 guinea pigs and my newest addition 3 chicks 2 polish 1 OEG (im a stay at home mom with a toddler and baby and still have plenty of love and time to give) so i have been considering getting a goat and/or a pig! I have been looking for goats all day! There are several available around my county, i just have a few questions before getting serious and heading to buy one!

#1: my goat would be for a pet, do all goats need to be milked?
#2: I've read goats are better in pairs can i own only one? Or would he/she be to lonely?
#3: would female or male be better?
#4: currently looking at a nigerian dwarf goat he is a cutie about 3 months old his horns ( think thats what you call them) were removed but he is still a fully intact male! Also read they can get stinky in season but what if there isnt a female around?

Sorry about the length of this post!
Im a newbie to the idea and any hints tips or advice are much appreciated!!!

So i know pretty much nothing about goats! I mean other then the obvious a place to sleep food water plenty of land to roam... but today i started thinking i really want to start getting a couple more animals i already have 6 dogs pit heeler mix and 3 Chihuahua 2 guinea pigs and my newest addition 3 chicks 2 polish 1 OEG (im a stay at home mom with a toddler and baby and still have plenty of love and time to give) so i have been considering getting a goat and/or a pig! I have been looking for goats all day! There are several available around my county, i just have a few questions before getting serious and heading to buy one!

#1: my goat would be for a pet, do all goats need to be milked? Only milk if you want milk to drink or use for cheese/soap/etc. A goat needs to be bred in order to give milk, though.
#2: I've read goats are better in pairs can i own only one? Or would he/she be to lonely? No you cannot own only one. If you cannot get two goats, do not get any goats at all. They are herd animals. A single goat will be stressed, and chronic stress leads to illness.
#3: would female or male be better? For pets, either a pair of does, a pair of wethers (neutered males), or a doe and a wether is preferred. Do not get an intact intact males, and definitely do not keep an intact male with a doe unless you want her health to suffer from constant breeding/pregnancy. Pregnancy takes energy. Lactation takes energy. Does need a break from both. But a buck will immediately breed a doe when she comes into a heat (hint: Nigerian Dwarves are year round breeders) after giving birth, even if she has newborn kids on her. All he knows is she is a doe, and she is in heat, so she can be bred. He can also breed any daughers at their first heat, which is far too young an age for a healthy pregnancy.
#4: currently looking at a nigerian dwarf goat he is a cutie about 3 months old his horns ( think thats what you call them) were removed but he is still a fully intact male! Also read they can get stinky in season but what if there isnt a female around? Yes he will stink. He will stink all the time once he reaches sexual maturity. He will stink even if there are no females around. He will generate a powerful musk, and urinate on his face and legs. It is bad most of the year, but worse in the fall. I can always smell my bucks when the wind is right, even out of breeding season, and they live far away from the house. To prevent him from stinking, he must be wethered. He also cannot be kept alone. Even bucks need friends. Intact bucks need either another intact buck as a buddy, or a wether.

Sorry about the length of this post!
Im a newbie to the idea and any hints tips or advice are much appreciated!!!

If you want the tl:dr version of the answers to the questions: they are do not get a single goat and do not keep an intact male with a doe unless you'd like her to be overbred to an early death.

I appreciate your response! I realize i need to put more consideration into this before making a decision obviously its cruel to have a lonely goat!
1f61e.png
and i would never want that!!

I am definitely glad you are taking the time to do research before jumping into it! So many people leap first, look later. Trust me, a goat who is kept alone will be incredibly noisy and anxious! They call out for other goats constantly, fence pace, and attempt escapes (if there is way to escape, they will find it when they're alone!). A single goat will drive you mad!

The only time I will separate a goat is if a goat is ill or when I quarantine a new goat coming onto the property. Thankfully, both events are temporary.

Yes i would never risk an animals well being or happiness! Honestly at first i was hoping a goat would get along with my dogs mainly the pit and pit heeler mix as they are as loving as dogs can be! My pit cleans my chicks ( or tries to until they peck her lol then she runs away like a baby) animals are great i just would like to experience as many as i can since ive only had dogs my entire life! Do you think an acre is enough for 2 goats? My property is an acre which would be free roaming for them as they pleased! Also could they jumo a fence a 4.5ft cyclone fence to be specidic.

Back
Top Bottom