Wanting an assortment in SE Texas...

kiraboo

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 6, 2015
Hi guys! Chicken and forum newbie here... but doing all the research I can to get everything right before I get my chicks next spring. I'm located in southeast Texas (Danbury, which is between Houston and Lake Jackson) and am trying to see where the best place(s) to purchase my chicks. I'm wanting an assortment of friendly breeds for pets and layers and will probably start with 8 or so. According to chicken math, that means 15-24, ha.

I'm aware of Ideal Poultry and My Pet Chicken, which have quite a few breeds to select from, but they don't all seem to be available at the same time. I'm ok with shipping, but would love to be able to go see things in person. If you know of any good hatcheries in the SE Texas region that I can drive to and visit/purchase from, that would be fantastic. I've heard of Seabreeze Hens in San Leon, but that's about it. Breeds I'm most interested in, so far:

silkies
australorps
salmon faverolles
polish
speckled sussex
easter egger/americaunas
wyandottes
barred Plymouth Rocks
buff orpingtons
welsummer or barnevelder

The mandatory silkie and polish are obviously pets, but the rest must be docile, non-flighty, heat-resistant, and fairly good layers. Any other breed suggestions would be great, as I probably won't be able to get exactly what I want when I'm ready to get my chicks. TIA for any help you may be able to provide! :)

Last edited:
HI from Streetman,Texas (between Corsicana and Fairfield) I use Ideal most of the time. they have a good assortment in the spring months and are very reliable. I have never lost a chick or duckling from them.

I second using Ideal. All of my Ideal chicks arrived healthy the day after they were shipped to my local Post Office in Houston. If you do mail-order, definitely do the hatcheries closest to you or order more than you need for a far-away hatchery. I had a bad experience with a far-away hatchery because the chicks spent too much time in the mail and I lost half.

Ideal lets you get on a waiting list for the breeds you want and call you when they can fill your order.

I second using Ideal. All of my Ideal chicks arrived healthy the day after they were shipped to my local Post Office in Houston. If you do mail-order, definitely do the hatcheries closest to you or order more than you need for a far-away hatchery. I had a bad experience with a far-away hatchery because the chicks spent too much time in the mail and I lost half.

Ideal lets you get on a waiting list for the breeds you want and call you when they can fill your order.

I third using Ideal Poultry. I've ordered chicks from them on a number of occasions (from as far away as Hawaii) and have been happy with their birds and service. I've never lost more than 1 or 2 chicks in shipping, and since they've always put 2 or 3 extra in the box, I've always received what I paid for.

Texas resident? IDEAL! You will probably recieve the birds a day earlier than we who live farther out which is great for both you and the poultry. Their weekly specials are hard to impossible to beat.

Ideal I got my chickens from except my white silkie I got from cackle hatchery. Monday I just order 2 Perkins and 3 Swedish ducks form ideal. Here are som pics from ideal

My silkie from cackle.

Sorry I love showing my birds. I just love them to pieces

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom