Wanting Ducks - Never had any poultry or waterfowl before looking for general setup advice

WillJ95

Hatching
May 21, 2020
Hi all,

I've been reading into ducks for a while and i'd love to get a few Indian runners for my garden! I have a few questions:

- Will my shed be suitable as a duck house? (See photos) i intend to remove the window and replace with vent and add a further vent into the door
- Is a run necessary? I intend on letting them free roam my garden whilst light and when dark put them in their house. I will be at work for long periods during the week days but my garden is secure and here in the UK predators are very few and far in between
- Is my garden big enough for 2/3 Indian runners? (See photos) i would intend on putting a large trough in the concreted area near the shed as a pool for them

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9926.jpg
    IMG_9926.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9925.jpg
    IMG_9925.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9924.jpg
    IMG_9924.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 11
Hi all,

I've been reading into ducks for a while and i'd love to get a few Indian runners for my garden! I have a few questions:

- Will my shed be suitable as a duck house? (See photos) i intend to remove the window and replace with vent and add a further vent into the door
- Is a run necessary? I intend on letting them free roam my garden whilst light and when dark put them in their house. I will be at work for long periods during the week days but my garden is secure and here in the UK predators are very few and far in between
- Is my garden big enough for 2/3 Indian runners? (See photos) i would intend on putting a large trough in the concreted area near the shed as a pool for them

Thank you all in advance!

Hi, Welcome to BYC! :frow

Before I answer the rest of your questions I'd like to let you know, contrary to popular belief and books, ducks will destroy a garden in no time, even Runners.

Hi, Welcome to BYC! :frow

Before I answer the rest of your questions I'd like to let you know, contrary to popular belief and books, ducks will destroy a garden in no time, even Runners.

Oh dear, you are right everything seems to say they take care of pests and wont damage the garden too much! What sort of area run would be required for 2/3 Runners? I would of course let them into the garden now and then too!

Yeah, Runners do less damage, but any tender crops you have they will destroy, and if you ever get a good rain or water you plants they will drill big mud holes all over your garden.

At the least, 15sqft per duck, that's during the day.

If a vegetable garden you best make sure that the plants are very established before letting the ducks in. My runners wiped out my 1' tall broccoli and cabbage plants one fall as well as my turnips.

They also managed to stick their long necks through a welded wire fence and destroy a squash plant that was growing inside an area I have blocked off to them so I could get grass started. I swear it was their mission to reach that volunteer squash plant and they finally did.

If it's a garden in the UK sense, what we call here in the US a backyard, you should be fine. The picture looks like plenty of room for 3 ducks and the shed looks good with the venting. You will love the runners. Try to get them sexed and all females.

I’ve never seen a plant the ducks don’t want to at least try. 🤣 If you have flowers/plants that are valuable to you, best to protect them in some way from curious bills. But looks like plenty of space, and I think the shed is perfect for a couple to a few. :)
Once it rains they find any little spot the water collects and go to town excavating a fun mud puddle. Haha. My 2 decimated their 90sqft run this spring, even with free range time. You might need a “sacrifice area” to keep them in during wetter weather, with supervised turnout, unless your lawn is extremely well established and drains well. :) not sure if the runners would be less destructive, I have an appleyard and a Swedish.

Back
Top Bottom