Wanting Geese to be guards but live with docile/small chickens...Help!

polishmom1744

Chirping
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Cowan, Tn
I keep polish and bantams what kind of goose will be both a good guardian and gentle enough with the rest of my flock. I plan to free range during the day in my very grassy yard and keep them in the barnyard at night.
should I get a pair or trio...don't want many.

25 chickens Polish& Duccles
5 Silver Appleyard Ducks

Last edited:
I keep polish and bantams what kind of goose will be both a good guardian and gentle enough with the rest of my flock. I plan to free range during the day in my very grassy yard and keep them in the barnyard at night.
should I get a pair or trio...don't want many.

25 chickens Polish& Duccles
5 Silver Appleyard Ducks
What kind of predators do you want the geese to protect against? They don't have teeth so they can't defend themselves or any other flock member very well. They can be loud if something comes around but that doesn't always happen either, My 4 when a hawk is around come into the small fenced in area where all their houses are and are as terrified as the rest of the flock. They may put up a front for a while if their babies or what ever they are bonded to are threatened but I'd say in the long run they will lose their life. They are fiercely protective of their goslings but if attacked by foxes, coyotes, bod cat, wolves etc they really couldn't do much to protect themselves or any others. We had a member who lost a goose to a mink and they are very small predator.

The area is fenced in and no large predators can/have gotten in for the 6 yrs we've had the farm,and hawks cant get to my barn yard as it is screened by two huge hickory trees, however we have had issues with coons/possums and I have read on many bird sites and been told by many a farmer that a goose drive these out. So in your opinion is this not so? I am also not referring to standard geese I want a heavy breed like Lg African, Embden or Toulouse.

Agree with Miss Lydia. Geese are prey, and the odds of your geese scaring off any predator are tiny. It's way more likely that they'll chase your chickens and ducks.

If you really want protection from predators/strangers or a guard/watch animal, I would suggest a Great Pyrenees. If raised with the flock they will guard them to the death. It's a big responsibility but geese here are known to have feuds with Ducks and chickens, especially ganders during mating season, you'll have much better luck with a dog.

The area is fenced in and no large predators can/have gotten in for the 6 yrs we've had the farm,and hawks cant get to my barn yard as it is screened by two huge hickory trees, however we have had issues with coons/possums and I have read on many bird sites and been told by many a farmer that a goose drive these out. So in your opinion is this not so? I am also not referring to standard geese I want a heavy breed like Lg African, Embden or Toulouse.
I have Embden gander and Toulouse, My gander will stand up to me or any human and the dogs but he was just as terrified as the rest when that big red tail swooped in and got my bantam. They are not what most say about them. In large numbers they maybe able to scare off something for a while but I bet someone is going to lose their life.eventually. The other day I was sitting up on the hill with my flock chickens ducks geese and we have been having 2 red tails stalking, the crows usually sound the alarm well the crows did and guess who was first down the hill to safety? you guessed it. If I'd have been small I would have been taken while everyone else ran for their lives. LOL They put up a fierce front but are really whimps down deep.If you'd like geese just to have them though they are wonderful addition to a home flock, but like goose girl says they pretty much like their own and can be pretty nasty to others.

Last edited:
If you really want protection from predators/strangers or a guard/watch animal, I would suggest a Great Pyrenees. If raised with the flock they will guard them to the death. It's a big responsibility but geese here are known to have feuds with Ducks and chickens, especially ganders during mating season, you'll have much better luck with a dog.
If you read my post more carefully you'd see I DON'T want a dog!!!! They are only good if they do their job and many don't! I tried a Great Pyr,it was a terrible dog! FYI it is NOT true that they will just be nice if raised with animals, mine would hide out and grab my chickens and use them as play toys! Really they should be raised with another Guard Pyr for at least a yr to train them. Mine was only 3 mon. when I got him. Yes he was pure, I bought him from a farmer, both his parents were guards and I saw them doing their job.I did everything like I was told but it killed more birds than any coon!!! I gave him to a friend with goats but told him not to leave him in unsupervised...he broke the lag of a baby the first week!!! EVIL THING!!! I will never have another one! I hate them..sorry to go on a rant but that's why I said specifically..I DONT WANT A DOG!!!. It sounds like I don't want geese either... I am not being angry or rude just expressing my strong distaste for Lg. Dogs!

Last edited:
Sorry you had such terrible luck with the Great Pyr, maybe it was a training issue. It's a good thing members that own geese gave you the benefit of their first hand experience with geese and their level of protectiveness.

Anyway, if you don't want a dog and it sounds as if geese aren't going to address your coon/possum concern, maybe you should consider traps or shot gun. Of course, a secure coop and run go a long way to safe-guarding birds too.

Our intention isn't to discourage anyone from getting geese, like I said they make a wonderful addition to a home flock and if free ranged can live pretty easily with other birds. My geese are bullies and if given the chance will grab a duck or chicken and not let go no matter how much the bird hollers or tries to get away. So far thank goodness no one has been injured. But they sure like to throw their weight around. I don't expect my geese to protect any other member of the flock except my gander may try to protect his girls . He's good at doing it with us. Ewww he can be a stinker. lol

If you read my post more carefully you'd see I DON'T want a dog!!!! They are only good if they do their job and many don't! I tried a Great Pyr,it was a terrible dog! FYI it is NOT true that they will just be nice if raised with animals, mine would hide out and grab my chickens and use them as play toys! Really they should be raised with another Guard Pyr for at least a yr to train them. Mine was only 3 mon. when I got him. Yes he was pure, I bought him from a farmer, both his parents were guards and I saw them doing their job.I did everything like I was told but it killed more birds than any coon!!! I gave him to a friend with goats but told him not to leave him in unsupervised...he broke the lag of a baby the first week!!! EVIL THING!!! I will never have another one! I hate them..sorry to go on a rant but that's why I said specifically..I DONT WANT A DOG!!!. It sounds like I don't want geese either... I am not being angry or rude just expressing my strong distaste for Lg. Dogs!

My pit wasn't raised with dogs and she would kill anything to protect my birds!

Back
Top Bottom