Wanting Geese to be guards but live with docile/small chickens...Help!

Sorry you had such terrible luck with the Great Pyr, maybe it was a training issue. It's a good thing members that own geese gave you the benefit of their first hand experience with geese and their level of protectiveness.

Anyway, if you don't want a dog and it sounds as if geese aren't going to address your coon/possum concern, maybe you should consider traps or shot gun. Of course, a secure coop and run go a long way to safe-guarding birds too.
Yes. I have all my coops closed in like fort Knox d/t break-ins in the past. Everything is closed in with wood and wire then I dug down 2ft and added cement...nothings gotten in all year!
fl.gif

but I can tell the coons are trying to find a way in and I though surly a 3ft tall 20-30 lb Goose could run them off....as most are young animals looking for an easy meal. I do trap and kill them but I only put traps out when I notice them messing with the cages trying to get in..I don't enjoy killing animals and was hoping that a trio of geese could keep the yard clear of them at night and no one would have to die. I would free range them in the yard during the day away from the other birds so they could forage well and eat tons of grass. It was NOT a training issue with my Pyr, I read books, web pages, forums, and had help from a friend who raised 3 successfully...he was a BAD dog. Since then we rescued a lg mix breed that after 2yrs attacked me for trying to stop it killing my cat....I DON'T do big dogs anymore! I used to love big dogs but those 2 have ruined it for me! I had sworn off dogs all together but then our Corgi/Chihuahua mix Mickey showed up last summer and now I like ONLY little dogs. He did a good job watching and running off critters but we took him to the vet to get fixed and found out he had heart worms...he's been treated for them and now has to stay in for 6 weeks. He won't want to be a guard anymore...just cry at the door to come in cause it's cold. Also he doesn't have a very thick coat and it gets in the teens and 20's here so I was looking for an alternative guard that could be a good addition to the actual flock....Oh well thanks for your candid advice.

Last edited:
Yes. I have all my coops closed in like fort Knox d/t break-ins in the past. Everything is closed in with wood and wire then I dug down 2ft and added cement...nothings gotten in all year!
fl.gif

but I can tell the coons are trying to find a way in and I though surly a 3ft tall 20-30 lb Goose could run them off....as most are young animals looking for an easy meal. I do trap and kill them but I only put traps out when I notice them messing with the cages trying to get in..I don't enjoy killing animals and was hoping that a trio of geese could keep the yard clear of them at night and no one would have to die. I would free range them in the yard during the day away from the other birds so they could forage well and eat tons of grass. It was NOT a training issue with my Pyr, I read books, web pages, forums, and had help from a friend who raised 3 successfully...he was a BAD dog. Since then we rescued a lg mix breed that after 2yrs attacked me for trying to stop it killing my cat....I DON'T do big dogs anymore! I used to love big dogs but those 2 have ruined it for me! I had sworn off dogs all together but then our Corgi/Chihuahua mix Mickey showed up last summer and now I like ONLY little dogs.
Gotta watch those lil ones 2 I have 3 mini dachshunds and they can not be trusted with chicks and ducklings or goslings. They are fine with adults just not the babies smaller than themselves. I learned the hard way when my one minis got one of my ducklings and he has been raised around them all his life. Broke my heart.

Gotta watch those lil ones 2 I have 3 mini dachshunds and they can not be trusted with chicks and ducklings or goslings. They are fine with adults just not the babies smaller than themselves. I learned the hard way when my one minis got one of my ducklings and he has been raised around them all his life. Broke my heart.
Mickey tried that once but the bird lived and he got the fear of mom put into him that day... I took it away from him...did the Simulated neck bite they taught me at the trainers....use hand and grab neck skin and pinch but NOT hard...you do it quick and let go so they don't feel abused but they get the point QUICK! I said "no my bird", I let the bird go, it moved, he went at it , I did that again...now he won't touch them!!!
I had to learn some special techniques for Mickey because he was abused and trust is paramount, but me must listen.

My geese are more of an alarm system than protection from predators. I don't have any loss from Hawks when the geese are out with the flock. My gander has taught the drake and rooster to give them a lot of space.

Back
Top Bottom