Wanting hens to go broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Big Red Hen, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    My hens have been laying a good amount of eggs this week, but none of seems to be setting? How can I encourage them? Or do they just go broody when they're ready?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have LF brahmas. A breed known to go broody.
    My birds are nearly two years old and not a broody to be found.
    I've researched the subject extensively, tried every trick in the book, and it all comes down to one thing.
    A hen will go broody if and when she wants to and nothing is going to change that. [​IMG]

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I am hoping to have a few broodies this spring. I keep wooden eggs in the boxes and use shreaded paper as nesting material. I find keeping the wooden eggs in works well for a few reason. Gives them the idea where the eggs go. Makes them think there is something to brood on. Makes them think that every nest is a popular one.
    I know there are exceptions to every rule, but I'm not thinking that I will have a broody now because of the cold. I have read on BYC from multiple people about winter broodiness however. I wouldn't really want babies now.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    a hen will go broody when she thinks it is a good time. you can't make her. some breeds are often broody, some almost never are. if you have a non-broody type of breed- you may never get a broody. if you have silkies or cochins, or some of the other broody breeds- you will have more of them than you want, come spring and summer.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by