Wanting to add a rooster to my flock

Ajwilly

Hatching
Jul 14, 2020
Hello all,
I started with 17 hens, and I am unfortunately down to 14. My newest loss was today and 1 of 2 of my white leghorns. And a few days prior a Rhode Island Red. Both of these appear to be from my barn cats that have shown interest in them. They are about 8 weeks old now. I’ve done everything to keep the cats away short of disposing of the cats that are interested.

So I’ve determined that it’s going to be best to add a rooster to my flock. Do you have any tips for introducing a new rooster to the flock so it will be safe for everyone ? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
It isn't hard to add a rooster to an existing flock without a rooster - after quarantine.
So at 8 weeks, they aren't hens yet. They are pullets. Do you have a place where you can get a cockerel of the same or slightly older age?
Where are you located? Perhaps you can find an appropriate aged bird on craigslist.
I would look for a rooster of a large Mediterranean breed. They are agile enough and big enough to take on a lot of different predators. None of the Mediterranean breeds I've known have been human aggressive.

Welcome!
Eight week old chicks, without a mama hen, are easy prey, and should be better protected. They need a safe coop and run, and only outside time with supervision. In a flock having adult large breed birds, this would be unlikely to occur, but here you are, and you need to manage better.
Have you seen one or more of your cats actually attacking a chick? Are you guessing instead? If it is one of your cats, then either rehome the cat, safeguard the chicks better, or expect more losses.
Mary

I am from southern Ohio. I made a run, and watched a cat break in through a spot I had missed. They are well fed, but the cats that are stalking the chicks are not able to be picked up. I have about 15 cats and the others are fine around them

These are some of my girls before we lost a few.

Attachments

• 578CA4A9-60D6-43C2-B067-DEFC6C35536B.jpeg
    578CA4A9-60D6-43C2-B067-DEFC6C35536B.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 10
My only issue with removing the cats is they keep the mice and birds and other rodents out of my barns. So that’s why I wanted to get a rooster to keep the cats away from the chicks

Back
Top Bottom