Wanting to add more ventilation

1000yearoldeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
western pa
I have two vents and two small windows on the coop, but I feel like I need more ventilation for the summer. My main question is has anyone used one of those wind turbine air vents on their coop, the ones you use for attics? I saw some at Lowes and thought it would help a lot with air exchange. I'd like to hear from anyone who is using it. I can try to add a link if it will help.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_30998-228-W...&Ntt=vent&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=vent&facetInfo=

I don't have one, but they use them on barns all the time, so they do work. I say go for it, and let us know how it goes, and how much of a difference it makes. Keep a thermometer in the coop so you can see the difference it makes. Wallyworld sells a digital thermometer for $6 that tracks the high and low temp of the day. I use this in my coop so I know the extremes for each day.

I actually already have a thermometer in there, it says merry Christmas on it, but it's pretty accurate, haha. I'll work on getting it, if barns use them, they have to work well.

The wind turbines work when the wind blows, the rest of the time it is just a 8-12 inch hole in the roof. It is ventilation but not very efficient and you may not like it in the winter or other periods of bad weather, when it will be working at its best. I think a cupola is the best way to let hot air out, and can be dampened when you don't want all the air out, for whatever the reason. The Home Depot/Lowes ones don't have very good bearings in them and will most likely fail inside of five years. Look on Amazon for a better one if you should chose that route. That is where I got mine.

There is a famous Ventilation page here on BYC that pretty much sums up the need and the amount of air one needs to move for X number of birds. A very useful page.

Anyway that is my thoughts on this, best to you in making your choice.

RJ

That's why I wanted to ask, I knew someone got one before. Thanks, I might go a different way since winters are bad here. I didn't want to drop like $45 on something that wouldn't work well all year round. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom