Venting modifications

Yes that front wall will be open up top with hardware cloth. Thank you! Also the wall with nest boxes has no venting. Do all walls need it? If so is it bad to place a covered vent with fins close to the floor or should they all be up higher? Thanks for putting up with my questions.

That’s great to hear. Thank you!!
If you're opening an entire wall or near to it, one is good. It should be facing away from your prevailing wind.

Yes that front wall will be open up top with hardware cloth. Thank you! Also the wall with nest boxes has no venting. Do all walls need it?
No, you don't need vents on all walls. You do want it on more than one wall, for cross air flow. But if one side faces more wind than the others, it's fine to have that as a mostly or completely solid wall.
If so is it bad to place a covered vent with fins close to the floor or should they all be up higher?
I would put it up higher in most cases. You get more benefit with venting up higher, as ammonia and warm, moist air rise, than lower. In larger coops you'd start to consider things like circulation of air throughout the space so letting in air low would help lift and push out ammonia and such through higher vents, that sort of thing.

No, you don't need vents on all walls. You do want it on more than one wall, for cross air flow. But if one side faces more wind than the others, it's fine to have that as a mostly or completely solid wall.

I would put it up higher in most cases. You get more benefit with venting up higher, as ammonia and warm, moist air rise, than lower. In larger coops you'd start to consider things like circulation of air throughout the space so letting in air low would help lift and push out ammonia and such through higher vents, that sort of thing.
Thank you so much for the advice and patience with me as a newbie.. I think the vents are figured out. Now on to roost bar mods…appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom