Venting modifications

KimbosKluckers

Songster
Mar 11, 2024
White Mountains of Arizona
I’m modifying our new coop ventilation (it’s a pre fab) I have something similar to this attic vent laying around (pic below) so I plan to use it and then add 2 more vents somewhere. My question is, should I buy more of these since they can prevent wind and snow/rain from entering? Or is it a bit non-ventilating and the other 2 I add should be more open? Hope that makes sense.
IMG_3181.jpeg

I’m modifying our new coop ventilation (it’s a pre fab) I have something similar to this attic vent laying around (pic below) so I plan to use it and then add 2 more vents somewhere. My question is, should I buy more of these since they can prevent wind and snow/rain from entering? Or is it a bit non-ventilating and the other 2 I add should be more open? Hope that makes sense. View attachment 3781563
Is the coop already built? Can you include some pictures of the coop or the design plans?

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 13
If you're roofing over that run portion, why not open up some of the wall facing into the run?

What are your temps like? I always assume AZ is hot (in which case, consider converting into open mesh or removing the entire wall facing into the run) but not all areas have the same temperatures.
Here's what I came up with:

As @rosemarythyme suggested, cut out what you can to what opens into the covered run section. Replace that with secured 1/2" hardware cloth. (You can use something less secure if you secure the entire run.)

If you could get windy cold weather in the AZ mountains, then you would want to remove those higher roost bars. And, really, I don't see adequate landing space to get down safely from those anyway. I'm guessing they are about 4' up. They should then have at least 4' of 'runway' space to land.

You also want the roost bars to be well below the window if you need to block them from Winter drafts. If you need to get it clear from Summer heat you'll want more space open, up to the whole wall, as noted above.

PP_Guardian4.png

Unfortunately, that looks to give 6 chickens only 4' of roost space. You may need to add another roost bar to the opposite side ... which may require covering the nest boxes from getting pooped on. They may not want to use it and prefer to jam onto one ... especially since they seem to all be raised together as chicks.

Any chance of dropping to 4 chickens?

My rough estimates from the link above.
PP_Guardian3.png

I seem to remember there being some threads of people updating one of these, but I can't find it. Perhaps somebody us knows where it is.

If you're roofing over that run portion, why not open up some of the wall facing into the run?

What are your temps like? I always assume AZ is hot (in which case, consider converting into open mesh or removing the entire wall facing into the run) but not all areas have the same temperatures.
Yes I plan to add a medium size opening on that wall too and the back wall with another gable vent (pictured above) since the back is open and windy. I think the gable vent can prevent precipitation from entering but will it be enough “flow?” We are in the mountains so we get harsh winters and monsoons. We can hit mid 90’s in summer but the nights get back down to 60’s. It’s difficult to add ventilation and no drafts 🤔

Here's what I came up with:

As @rosemarythyme suggested, cut out what you can to what opens into the covered run section. Replace that with secured 1/2" hardware cloth. (You can use something less secure if you secure the entire run.)

If you could get windy cold weather in the AZ mountains, then you would want to remove those higher roost bars. And, really, I don't see adequate landing space to get down safely from those anyway. I'm guessing they are about 4' up. They should then have at least 4' of 'runway' space to land.

You also want the roost bars to be well below the window if you need to block them from Winter drafts. If you need to get it clear from Summer heat you'll want more space open, up to the whole wall, as noted above.

View attachment 3782368

Unfortunately, that looks to give 6 chickens only 4' of roost space. You may need to add another roost bar to the opposite side ... which may require covering the nest boxes from getting pooped on. They may not want to use it and prefer to jam onto one ... especially since they seem to all be raised together as chicks.

Any chance of dropping to 4 chickens?

My rough estimates from the link above.
View attachment 3782369

I seem to remember there being some threads of people updating one of these, but I can't find it. Perhaps somebody us knows where it is.
Yes I like the drawing you did. That’s where I want the vent, plus one in back and side. There’s 12’ of roost space but I do not like the placement either. I’ve been brainstorming how to change/lower them. I do plan to add a poop board over the nesting boxes. I may do a couple ladder type roosts? What are your thoughts on the gable vents? If the front, covered vent is open then will the other vents be enough venting flow? I appreciate reply!

Yes I plan to add a medium size opening on that wall too and the back wall with another gable vent (pictured above) since the back is open and windy. I think the gable vent can prevent precipitation from entering but will it be enough “flow?” We are in the mountains so we get harsh winters and monsoons. We can hit mid 90’s in summer but the nights get back down to 60’s. It’s difficult to add ventilation and no drafts 🤔
Gable vents (with the... not sure what they're called, fins?) like you're showing do provide air but because it's partially obscured it doesn't provide the same amount of air flow as a more open vent would. So those would be good in areas where you expect to get direct winds. But unless you're expecting to get winds blowing right into the wall that's under the run roof, that really should be straight up open wire mesh ventilation. The triangle under the roof at the top is an obvious spot to open up and add a ton of open but protected venting, for example.

Gable vents (with the... not sure what they're called, fins?) like you're showing do provide air but because it's partially obscured it doesn't provide the same amount of air flow as a more open vent would. So those would be good in areas where you expect to get direct winds. But unless you're expecting to get winds blowing right into the wall that's under the run roof, that really should be straight up open wire mesh ventilation. The triangle under the roof at the top is an obvious spot to open up and add a ton of open but protected venting, for example.
Yes that front wall will be open up top with hardware cloth. Thank you! Also the wall with nest boxes has no venting. Do all walls need it? If so is it bad to place a covered vent with fins close to the floor or should they all be up higher? Thanks for putting up with my questions.
Louvers ;)
Good for venting where exposed to the weather.
That’s great to hear. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom