Wanting to be a chicken mom

msthomas

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2019
I really want to get chickens this year. We live in a small city in Michigan. We have a very large yard though. Our city has just recently allowed backyard chickens. I grew up on a farm where we had free ranging chickens and a very large coop. The chickens basically took care of themselves. I don't have the luxury of that big of a coop, and I think getting maybe 8 chickens to start. We can only have hens, and I want them for eggs mainly, not meat. We have dogs and cats as well. Reading all of the articles on here I realize that chickens are a lot more involved that I remember as a kid. I want to do what's best for my girls and will treat them like pets, not just farm animals. I need all the advice I can get!!!

Hi there! Just joined a few minutes ago myself. I too grew up with the taste of farm fresh eggs early in the morning. Doing a little digging around myself, I decided quail would be easier for myself to house than chicken. (They take up much less space, mature faster, and the eggs have a higher nutritional value than chicken eggs) Something you may want to look into before you settle on a new flock. Cheers and good luck !

I really want to get chickens this year. We live in a small city in Michigan. We have a very large yard though. Our city has just recently allowed backyard chickens. I grew up on a farm where we had free ranging chickens and a very large coop. The chickens basically took care of themselves. I don't have the luxury of that big of a coop, and I think getting maybe 8 chickens to start. We can only have hens, and I want them for eggs mainly, not meat. We have dogs and cats as well. Reading all of the articles on here I realize that chickens are a lot more involved that I remember as a kid. I want to do what's best for my girls and will treat them like pets, not just farm animals. I need all the advice I can get!!!
Welcome! Having chickens for pets is amazing! Especially when they give you the gift of fresh eggs! I have 13 chickens right now. Mixed of roos and hens. My girls are very friendly. Yours will need a safe place to sleep that keeps them from being predator dinner. Also depending on the dog you have I would make sure this dog doesn't think they are to play with or you will have dead chickens. I haven't had any issues with cats harming my chickens, only if they are chicks they seem to be a threat. Hawks and aerial birds will be a risk if you free range in an open space. Ground predators are a risk for me at night but I keep mine locked up. Your girls will need a good wholesome layer feed that provided protein as well as calcium for their eggs. you will also need some nests either purchased or homemade that are in a location that is safe and private. For 8 hens I would have at least 2 or 3 nest at the minimum. You could also give them oyster shell and they will eat it as needed. I treat my birds once a month with ivermectin for mites, worms, that sort of thing.

Also you will need a first aid kit handy that consists of antibiotic ointment, tweezers, bandages, gauze, peroxide, alcohol, Blu kote or something similar.

I keep a few medicines on hand as well just in case. Cori for cocci, ivermectin for the once a month, vetRx which is what I give when they have a sneeze or cough, and I have tylan an antibiotic I give orally when I have a respiratory illness outbreak.

Treats are fun ways to train them to come to a specific call or learn a name you give them. I have mine name trained and a specific call for each group. I give mealworms, bread, fruits, cooked rice or oatmeal, they eat cooked beans such as pinto, vegetables , bread, bird seed, etc.

I would advise getting a hardy bird that does well in the winter based on your location I imagine the winters can be pretty cold. On nice days they will enjoy a dust bath and will either find one in your yard to create or you can provide one if you keep them up. If you decide to use a sort of shavings in your nest or coop use pine I have been told cedar is toxic. Hay works well also or dried grass clippings. This is your choice. If they do free range and aren't fenced in they will go alittle far sometimes. I have to keep min from going to the neighbors behind me. They have learned to stay in the perimeter of my yard but I had the issue of neighborhood dogs getting to them when they go to far. At night make sure you count them. I always do a head count to make sure no one is lost or left behind.

Since you are just getting hens you shouldn't have any issues with broodiness but sometimes it happens and they will need to be broken from it since they have no rooster.

Well I think that's all I can think of. I hope you decide to get some and good luck with your girls! They are such sweet animals and birds are my favorite.

Welcome!
Read a lot on here. Chickens are relatively low maintenance as compared to some other animals, but still can be a lot of work. I just encourage people to think about dealing with the chicken duties in all kinds of weather ( especially in Michigan!) when setting up your coop. Think about noise & smell if you have close neighbors. Highly consider not getting a rooster if you’re in close quarters- too many here end up having to get rid of roosters due to annoyed neighbors.
Chickens can be very rewarding , I love mine

1byc-flower-fence.png

hello-smiley.gif
Depending on limit of hens allowed in your area, I would start with only 3 or 4, but build your coop to house the maximum. Keep in mind that chickens will slow down or even stop laying after a few years. By starting small, you could add chicks to your flock every year or every other year, while providing yourself with a steady flow of eggs and also managing your flock size. Integrating chicks can be done in a matter of weeks with the right setup and you could build your coop with space for a brooder pen:
Integrating at 4 weeks old
You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors

Three laying hens provides enough eggs for my family of 3 with enough extra to share with my relatives occasionally.
Best wishes starting your new chicken adventure!

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54-jpg.1671012
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/
Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button
2019-02-09_16-13-22-jpg.1671016

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09-jpg.1671019

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

Back
Top Bottom