Wanting to build an awning similar to a hoop coop using cattle panels. Anyone who has worked with ca

Ok sorry still waking up my brians slow this morning.
Lol, I can relate.
caf.gif

For hooking it to either the barn or the top of the fence ... Consider using Galvanized Plumbers Tape
aka: Plumbing Tape (or) "Strapping" Tape - Holes are evenly spaced like this at the bottom of the page https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipehangers.html you could easily drill holes wherever you needed if these are not in the right place, but would allow you to use actual screws instead of staples ... Screws should hold much stronger!

You may find you need to put up some kind of brace half way from barn to fence to help keep the cattle panel up to keep water and snow moving off of it ... How much rain/snow is gonna come off the barn roof, to land on the tarp?

Jesusfreak101 - I covered the cattle panel w/ chicken wire. All the ones I've seen are either covered w/ chicken wire or hardware cloth. Mine don't get out (at least thru the wired sections. The ponies have helped knock the "pop door" out and allowed chickens out since I moved the hoop coops into the pony pasture).

And Hholly - something like these. We use a lot of 2 ltr bottles and also have friends saving but WOW takes a lot. I'm not doing the whole building and am doing somethings a little different, but this gives you an idea until I have mine done... Really like the top image - and they use the bottles to catch rain water too. If you download the pic, you can "blow it up" and see some fo the features. I believe this building is at a bus stop in Washington State or maybe at a park? - I can't find it on internet now and did not identify it when I kept/stored the pic...

Jesusfreak101 - I covered the cattle panel w/ chicken wire. All the ones I've seen are either covered w/ chicken wire or hardware cloth. Mine don't get out (at least thru the wired sections. The ponies have helped knock the "pop door" out and allowed chickens out since I moved the hoop coops into the pony pasture).

And Hholly - something like these. We use a lot of 2 ltr bottles and also have friends saving but WOW takes a lot. I'm not doing the whole building and am doing somethings a little different, but this gives you an idea until I have mine done... Really like the top image - and they use the bottles to catch rain water too. If you download the pic, you can "blow it up" and see some fo the features. I believe this building is at a bus stop in Washington State or maybe at a park? - I can't find it on internet now and did not identify it when I kept/stored the pic...

Wow! That's a cool idea. Looks like they're threaded on dowels?

I was wondering if it was CPVC or PVC pipe. Really fascinating idea. Pop bottles are worth their weight in gold around our farm and we always keep at least a dozen on hand. They are durable beyond belief. We have hooked them up to an air compressor and they won't blow out at 100 pounds per square inch.

That is just so cool.

Have you ever done research into constructing a building from straw bales? We always wanted to try that but with it as rainy as it was this summer where we are I wonder how well it would hold up.

Thank you for sharing that picture.

I was wondering if it was CPVC or PVC pipe. Really fascinating idea. Pop bottles are worth their weight in gold around our farm and we always keep at least a dozen on hand. They are durable beyond belief. We have hooked them up to an air compressor and they won't blow out at 100 pounds per square inch.

That is just so cool.

Have you ever done research into constructing a building from straw bales? We always wanted to try that but with it as rainy as it was this summer where we are I wonder how well it would hold up.

Thank you for sharing that picture.
Ken and I not only looked into it, but we joined the straw bale forum many years ago. We also took classes in alternative building at the local college. Ours is designed and we just know that for us it's absolutely perfect. But life got in the way of the building, as it does with so many other things. We haven't given up on the dream - just postponed it.

SB homes are in use all over the country. There are things that can be easily done to make them successful no matter where they are located. There are many of them in Washington State and Oregon, and if any places in the country know rain and moisture issues those would be the ones. Early settlers in the Sand Hill area of Nebraska used hay bales to build their homes and remarkably some of the them are still standing, despite missing roofs, clay slurry for surfacing, tornadoes, heavy snows, and being totally load bearing structures rather than the way most folks do them today. Modern straw bale houses are usually built with a frame and straw bale infill but many old school builders still prefer to build load bearing buildings. A straw bale grocery store in Glenrock, Wy, built in the 40s, is still open. There are a few homes in Cody, one in Greybull, and one in Powell, all within 50 miles of us here. And those are just the ones I know about and have seen and personally toured.

Okay, looks l like I hijacked another thread. <sigh> So let me pull myself back on topic by telling the OP that I think the cattle panel "awning" will work very well, and once the cattle panels are transported to the building site the hardest part is done!

Back
Top Bottom