Wanting to change my horse's registered name...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cara, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I checked with the AQHA and I can go ahead and change her name. I've hated her registered name since we bought her, but I can't come up with anything I like better. At the moment it's 'Sallys Swinging Chick'. We call her Lorie Darlin, but that's already been taken and i'd like to keep some reference to her breeding in the name. Any suggestions?

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    What are her bloodlines? My horses have had some horrible registered names. The rescue I got last month actually has a cute one "Shifty Slippers".

3. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Ooops that might help. She's Docs Hickory and Peppy San Badger. Strangely enough her face and expression is very similar to Docs Hickory.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sallys+swinging+chick

My other horse's name is No Jokeing Around. I don't mind it, other than the fact that it's spelled wrongly [​IMG] It's often 'corrected' for me.

4. clport

clport Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    Nice lines! I like her dam's name, Magnolia. If it were my horse, though, I'd want to include a Doc Bar and Peppy San Badger reference in her name. Maybe "Peppy's Magnolia Bar" or "Doc Badger's Magnolia". What are you planning to do with her? Surely cows are in her future?! Did you post a picture somewhere?

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, when I looked at all the names, the only thing I could think of was "She's a Spicy Pepper", then I realized the name was Peppy, not pepper. LOL

Doc Red Peppy, Peppy Red Magnolia, Doc Dandy Magnolia, Peppy Darlin' Doc...Lots of interesting name combos.

6. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    She's bred to be a maniac but thankfully she's a pretty quiet horse. I'm not entirely sure what i'm going to do with her yet [​IMG] She's been at another ranch since the beginning of September getting started, we're going to collect her on 9th Nov. I'm so excited, we went to visit her after she'd been there 19 days and she was doing great. She hasn't bucked once. We got a progress report last night and she's enjoying working cows and staying nice and calm. I'd love to start cutting, but I don't know if it's a good idea for us both to learn together. She's definitely going to be a ranch horse, maybe we'll do ranch horse versatility too. We bought her as a weanling and i'd never had anything to do with a young horse, but she's never given me a day's trouble. She's my pride and joy and I haven't even ridden her [​IMG]

I can't find any recent photos, this is her in the awkward stage as a yearling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    yeah if you could sneak a Doc, Peppy,San, or Badger into her name I would do it....

8. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I found a more recent one, and an even worse angle

[​IMG]

I'm wondering about Magnolia's Hickory Chick.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I have a theory that women without jobs shouldn't name horses. I've come across some weird ones: Ima Pretty Orrieo Kookie, Gay Macho, Pretty Poco (who was a stallion no less) Mr. Ivory, Party Party, Take a Whiz, Duh Lil Dunnit

Ima, Heza, Sheza and Mr. are my big pet peeves in horse names.

Try to work Hickory into her name somehow. She's red/chestnut and since QHs have Spanish blood in them, maybe something with Roja or Alazana (feminine red and chestnut in Spanish) in her name.

Or go with regular AQHA names and randomly string ancestor names together

Hickory's Lil Badger or Steel my Hickory are quarter horse-ish.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on

BTW--My horse is Party Party and I thought of changing her name, but she had already won points so I couldn't.

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I know what you mean about some of the generic QH names! Some sound a little too much like a shopping list! The worst one I ever saw was a stud named Double Fluffy. We have a bunch of bad ones on the ranch. People got bored of coming up with new names each year so we have a whole load of 'Bell Mares' with different numbers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by