wanting to hatch some chicks!

randiferina

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Georgia
Hi everyone! I just got my flock started in June of last year (so my chickens are almost a year old) and I have 7 hens and 1 rooster.. This will be their first spring and I wanted to let some of the ladies hatch some eggs.. I'm just wondering the best way to go about it. I'm completely new and clueless about all of this lol... None of them seem broody at all.. I have a silkie and a RIR hen that sometimes seem interested in the eggs in the nesting box... They'll go in and fix the nest and adjust the eggs.. Sit for a minute and then get up.. The rooster only handles his business with 3 of the 7 hens (the other 4 kinda of separate themselves and won't have much to do with the roo).. So this week, I've left the eggs that I knew were fertile in a nest that one of them made.. I removed the ones that I knew were not fertile.. There are 8 eggs in the nest right now and no one seems interested in sitting on them lol

Hi everyone! I just got my flock started in June of last year (so my chickens are almost a year old) and I have 7 hens and 1 rooster.. This will be their first spring and I wanted to let some of the ladies hatch some eggs.. I'm just wondering the best way to go about it. I'm completely new and clueless about all of this lol... None of them seem broody at all.. I have a silkie and a RIR hen that sometimes seem interested in the eggs in the nesting box... They'll go in and fix the nest and adjust the eggs.. Sit for a minute and then get up.. The rooster only handles his business with 3 of the 7 hens (the other 4 kinda of separate themselves and won't have much to do with the roo).. So this week, I've left the eggs that I knew were fertile in a nest that one of them made.. I removed the ones that I knew were not fertile.. There are 8 eggs in the nest right now and no one seems interested in sitting on them lol
There is no way to make a hen go broody. Silkies are notorious for being broodies (though no one told mine this, but I am not complaining, it seems like all the rest want to be broody though I don't want them too,) however the RIR breed was bred NOT to be broody, so getting a broody RIR is less likely.

Back
Top Bottom