Wanting to invest in an automatic door for the coop...

I have a very funky setup on one of my doors, since the guillotine setup would not work due to space issues. We had to have it open sideways and up. We've replaced the door with something better, but you get the idea here with our test door:

51848_p1020018.jpg

So that's an idea for those who don't have clearance for the whole door to go up and down! It works!

I totally agree with gryeyes! I have the one from Foy's, it was not cheap and I hesitated before buying, but every rainy night, dark morning that I am running late for work or just plain old lazy days, I LOVE THE DOOR OPENER! It is very easy to install and worth its weight in gold as far as I am concened.

Let me add a comment here: the one I purchased when Foy's was out of stock is annoying me now. It uses electricity, no problem as the coop is wired for power. The timer is acting up. It's only been in use for a month.... I am not happy. (Neither are my chickens, stuck in the coop long after the door SHOULD have opened.)

I can replace the timer, and will do so, but it's annoying to have to move the dial forward so it activates the door.

barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have been using an "add a motor" drapery motor for about two years with my coop. Then a month ago, a tiny plastic gear inside broke in a way that was not repairable. Although I was upset it only lasted two years, I decided sleeping in past 6 AM and vacation peace of mind has been worth the $40 a year to me. I bought the add a motor chicken door motor to replace it, the one designed not to have to use a counter weight. I saved the older model motor for parts, just in case. I am hoping to get more than two years out of the new one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom