Wanting to raise meat birds in Orlando, but need to find a processor.

Oh, I know that farm! I was going to get some some Royal Palm poults from them. Thanks, I'll tuck that info under my belt until I actually have some chickens to process.

Usually large doses of benedryl ... I also had some horse tranquilizer last year, Ace. Most of the time, I don't find the animals before they are practically gone anyway, so it isn't always necessary.

Thank you. I've been faced wtih similar situations and haven't been able to bring myself to do the deed. I've actually paid the vet bill to have a pet duck euthanized.

I assume that's liquid Benadryl. Do you think it's possible to overdose them instead of bucketing?

Yes, liquid. Overdosing is tricky. Most OTC meds cause vomiting before you will ever apply a large enough dose to stop the heart. Another 'long distance' way of euthanizing an animal is by using a long shop vac hose in your tailpipe, connected to an unventilated box. It's the equivalent of locking yourself in the garage and carbon monoxiding yourself to death. The shop vac hose cools the emissions so that the animal simply inhales the carbon monoxide, goes to sleep, and eventually suffocates. I'm not a fan, because it takes too long for my taste, and if you slip up, or the animal gets too much regular oxygen, you have to do it twice. The bucket method takes less than a minute. It seems much more humane to me.

Yes, I think you're right. I'm familiar with the tailpipe method but it seemed kind of risky to me. Thanks for explaining things. I feel sort of macabre even asking these questions.

I know. Don't feel bad. I'm glad to have this forum to discuss it - I actually do dog rescue, and if I brought up anything like this on their forums, I'd be nailed to a tree. It is macabre, but it is a fact of life. It is a fact of life that farmers understand, but the more 'civilized', and I use those quotes with a smirk, people refuse to acknowledge.

Back
Top Bottom