Wanting to see if my ducks can free roam

Katedwilson

Hatching
Aug 10, 2021
I have had pekin ducks for a handful of years now, but I’ve got a new question!
We live on 10 acres of mainly pasture. Picture a triangle shape and two sides have a border of forest but the other is open to another 10 acres of pasture that is not ours. Their coop and run is in pasture land but right on the forest line by our home.
Okay so my question is can I let them free range roam during the day? I’ve always been scared to let them out by themselves because I have no idea if 1) they are safe and 2) if they will roam away and not come back. Whenever they do come out and hang out in the back with us you can tell they truly want to be in the forest and we’ve had to go in to get them a handful of times to get them back in their run. —We do not have a pond but are wanting to in the future.
—They have a large hot tub insert as a “pond” inside their run.
—We do have foxes out here and who knows what other predators.
—And also we are across the street from lake houses so would they roam all the way to the lake and never come back?
I’m so nervous but I think it would be good for them. Idk

I would not have them forage on your property without supervision. For one being close to a lake means they will most likely want to cross the road and swim in that huge body of water. Or they will wander into the woods and be picked off one by one. We live in the middle of the woods with a mountain river down below us. We have 10 acres what we did is fenced off a little over a half-acre so our ducks and chickens and geese could have the freedom they love but not be where it would be easy for a predator or them wandering down to the river through the woods. Mind you my flock can still be killed by predators I have lost a few to hawks but I think the fencing does help keep the larger predators from getting them. Of course this is just my opinion I'm sure others will disagree with me and say yes let them out. I just feel it's my responsibility to protect my animals the best I can, and I don't like feeding them to the wild predators we have here.

:welcome

I would not have them forage on your property without supervision. For one being close to a lake means they will most likely want to cross the road and swim in that huge body of water. Or they will wander into the woods and be picked off one by one. We live in the middle of the woods with a mountain river down below us. We have 10 acres what we did is fenced off a little over a half-acre so our ducks and chickens and geese could have the freedom they love but not be where it would be easy for a predator or them wandering down to the river through the woods. Mind you my flock can still be killed by predators I have lost a few to hawks but I think the fencing does help keep the larger predators from getting them. Of course this is just my opinion I'm sure others will disagree with me and say yes let them out. I just feel it's my responsibility to protect my animals the best I can, and I don't like feeding them to the wild predators we have here.

:welcome
These are my exact worries so I completely understand!
What type of fencing do you have on the 10 acres you talk about, if I may ask. We will be fencing our property line sometime in the future and I’m just curious what would be good property fence AND help keep the animals a little safer.
Thank you for the response!

I'm with Miss Lydia. I think if you let them they will go play in the water and you will have a hard time getting them back, and also predators will take them. My neighbors let their ducks free range during daylight only and within a couple months their ducks were all taken.

We have 5 acres, also border a forest, and have so many predators. My solution was to build my ducks a big aviary for them to spend time in. It is fully enclosed and predator proof and 30x30ft. Plus a 10x10 barn room. So they have lots of space. Then I take them on supervised foraging walks most days. I never leave them alone when they are outside their aviary, and I take my trained duck friendly dog with me. I also trained my ducks to come when I call, so if they get too close to the forest edges I call them back. My method takes a lot of energy and time, but I haven't lost a bird to predators ever - and it has been 6.5 years. We go out most days.

These are my exact worries so I completely understand!
What type of fencing do you have on the 10 acres you talk about, if I may ask. We will be fencing our property line sometime in the future and I’m just curious what would be good property fence AND help keep the animals a little safer.
Thank you for the response!
Of out 10 acres we only fenced in half an acre and that is their foraging area and it's right here at the house so I can keep an eye on everyone. We had no-climb horse fence put up to keep the bears out. The bears tore down our welded wire fence climbing over it. Living on the side of a mountain having fencing put up its way to expensive but half acre is alot of room for mine they love it.

I agree with everything said above. Up until 3 weeks ago, we allowed our ducks to forage during daylight hours when we were at home and “loosely” supervising them. This worked for 3 and 1/2 years. And then it didn’t. Thankfully(?), we only had one loss and she didn’t suffer. Now, they go on closely supervised walks roughly twice daily and spend the day in their “duckio” (18’ by 18’ fully enclosed) and, as always, the night in the barn. I’m sure it’s not as fun for them, but they still live a good life. Oh, and when they are out with me, they come when called if they go too far, or at least come when I shake their bag of mealworms!

Mine have been free ranging. So far we had one loose stray dog attack a few months ago, but everyone survived and is fine. Mind you I was outside with them at the time, about 10 ft away but had my back turned so didn't see the dog until it was too late. Otherwise, mine have been fine free ranging. I have had to shoo them out of the woods along the property line more frequently lately. If I can't check on them periodically, I don't let them free range. Or if they are getting too naughty and straying too far, then they get penned for a few days. For the most part they don't go too far, and almost always come when called. My neighbor has 30ish free ranging chickens and so far the predators have stayed away from his chickens and my ducks. My ducks sleep inside a coop at night.

Back
Top Bottom