Wanting to start getting chickens, any suggestions on which?

From our experience, our chickens all have unique personalities! I heard that silkies are super sweet... so we purchased 3. One rooster is super talkative, and friendly. The other rooster is quieter and low key. Both roosters get along amazingly. The female is skittish and lower in the pecking order. We also have 9 Easter Eggers who are neat little hens. They're all colors and some are rumpless which is kinda cute. A couple of them, my husband calls, "bear face" because their faces look like bears! Two of the EE's tend to fly up on my shoulders when I walk near them with treats (not cool!) but I've learned how to avoid that! One of the EE's took FOREVER to feather out... we thought something was wrong with her because she was just plain ugly. So her name is, "Chicken Ugly." She's the fastest one out of all the birds and has a quirky personality. Totally cute now. We have 3 Buff Orpingtons. One is my absolutely favorite bird and we call her Buttercup. She's super friendly and the only one who likes to be pet and held, out of all of the birds. She is also the fluffiest and plumpest of the chickens. Then there are 2 other Buff Orpingtons who are the biggest wimps out of the whole flock. We have 1 Black Astralorp who started as an ugly duckling type and is now probably the most beautiful bird we have with her sheen on her plumage. She's higher on the pecking order but not mean to anyone. We have 3 Silver Laced Wyandotts. I'd say their personalities out of all of them are fairly consistent. None of them are friendly and they all run from us when free ranging. They're also the last to come into the coop, but they're beautiful birds. Also we have 1 Brahma who is like the lead bird. She is larger than most of them (except Buttercup) and she's friendly and very sweet. She's my husband's favorite since he tends to always gravitate towards the larger animals that we have :) So with our flock, I can't say we like one over another because of the breed because many of the chickens in the same breed have totally different personality traits. We did start receiving our first eggs this week and we're trying to figure out who is laying them! Good luck with whatever you decide! Chickens are fun!

Back
Top Bottom