Wanting to start in Kansas City

nitrodiesle

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Hello all, my better half and I have decided to try and start doing the chicken thing in our back yard. We have three kids and they always seem to want to eat every day for some reason. Hoping to find some good information and steal some coop ideas from everyone here for a small operation in city neighborhood setting. We have the required room for it and just need to get the ball rolling. Thanks for any info that can be given and if there are any local resources and yard bird experts I'd love to hear from you, Thanks!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! You can get some great design and style ideas from the Coops section below. Some of the basics are: each bird requires 4 sq. ft. of space in the coop and 10 sq. ft. in the run. Use as much hardware cloth as you can afford. Avoid chicken wire if you have predators - it keeps chickens in but does little to keep determined raccoons and dogs out. Have fun and good luck to you! Oh, one more thing...make the coop a little bigger than you think you need in case you want to add birds to your flock in the future.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Thanks for the welcome! We are going to be raising chickens mainly for eggs since we are urban and don't have the room for a rooster to participate (has to be 300 ft away from the neighbors houses). Any suggestions on what kind of hens to get for the best egg results? We are a family of five so some good quality eggs would go a long way in the protein department as well as get the kids involved in being self reliant so any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom