Wants to be a momma?

nevrenufanimals

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Southeast Louisiana
I have 5 chicks which will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. They are in their own little coop/run that is inside of the big girls run. They have been going down to their run during the day for 2 weeks now and in their coop at night. I have a silkie hen whos probably at least 5 years old. I dont think she lays anymore. If so it's rarely. Not long ago close to when I first got the chicks I found her in a nest box getting all "broody" with me. She was pecking my hand, fluffed up, growling. She wasn't sitting on any eggs, and she came out after awhile to get treats with the rest of the girls. She has never successfully hatched or raised chicks. I've noticed that the last few weeks she spends ALL day next to the little coop of chicks. If she is not laying down next to it, she's walking around it constantly, looking at the chicks. She is the last of my hens to go into their coop in the evenings, and waits till the last minute before dark. If I let the other chickens out to free range during the day, she stays by the chicks. What is she doing?

You could put her in the pen with the chicks and watch what happens. She might want to adopt them :idunno

Of course, you should watch what happens, and be prepared to remove her from the chicks if it does not go well. But if you want to introduce them to the rest of the flock anyway, it might be easier if one hen adopts them.

You could put her in the pen with the chicks and watch what happens. She might want to adopt them :idunno

Of course, you should watch what happens, and be prepared to remove her from the chicks if it does not go well. But if you want to introduce them to the rest of the flock anyway, it might be easier if one hen adopts them.
I thought about that but just don’t want them injured. It’s just so odd…..

I have 5 chicks which will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. They are in their own little coop/run that is inside of the big girls run. They have been going down to their run during the day for 2 weeks now and in their coop at night. I have a silkie hen whos probably at least 5 years old. I dont think she lays anymore. If so it's rarely. Not long ago close to when I first got the chicks I found her in a nest box getting all "broody" with me. She was pecking my hand, fluffed up, growling. She wasn't sitting on any eggs, and she came out after awhile to get treats with the rest of the girls. She has never successfully hatched or raised chicks. I've noticed that the last few weeks she spends ALL day next to the little coop of chicks. If she is not laying down next to it, she's walking around it constantly, looking at the chicks. She is the last of my hens to go into their coop in the evenings, and waits till the last minute before dark. If I let the other chickens out to free range during the day, she stays by the chicks. What is she doing?
She definitely may want to be mom of the chicks, I’d let her in with them and watch to see what happens, if she starts pecking at them then take her out. I’ve had this happen with my ducks. I’ll hatch out a lot of ducklings and one of my females will take the role of mama or they will go broody and want to hatch their own babies.

I thought about that but just don’t want them injured. It’s just so odd…..
If you sit her in the pen, and watch to grab her if needed, the chicks should NOT get injured.

If she really does want to be act like a mother to the chicks, they will be safe with her.

If she does not want to act like a mother to the chicks, you should be able to tell that, and remove her, long before any serious injuries could happen.

Well, I am amazed at how easy that was!:celebrateWhen I let the others out to free range this morning, momma silkie started to go and then she turned around and went right back to the chicks. So I put her in with them. The chicks were a little frightened at first but momma was fine. My little hard headed chick got more than a few really gentle pecks on her head because she wouldnt move off the grit bowl but they were never so hard that she peeped. (or moved!) Momma found their food dish and immediately started the "come over here and eat" clucks. Within about 30 min I guess the chicks now run to her if they get scared. the first picture is early on as they were getting adjusted to her. the second picture is when I was cleaning the shavings up from the floor, the chicks went into panic and scream mode and ran to her. :weeThey were all literally squished as close as they could get. She didnt mind at all. Last picture is her with them telling them there are treats. She was just gently clucking to them the whole time. Hopefully tonight I can remove the heat lamp for good. 😉

Attachments

• silkie with chicks.jpg
    silkie with chicks.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 3
  • silkie with chicks 2.jpg
    silkie with chicks 2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3
  • silklie with adopted chicks.jpg
    silklie with adopted chicks.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom