Warm and yummy treats for cold little chickens

well it was 60 yesterday in Missouri and rained early! Went to bed to 44! Woke up to 25! Went to the chicken house took warm Oat meal and raisins! MMMMMMMmmmmmmm Thanks Daddy we like Oatmeal and Raisins on a cold frosty morn! Turned their Red heat lamp on left them to Plucking raisins and gobbeling oatmeal!

So Ohh yea I feed Warm Oatmeal and Raisins!!

Anyone ever tried cream of wheat or Grits?????

Ernie

Hmmm Like the hot corn idea too

Im going to try mixing in Keifer in with the Oatmeal in a few days (I have got some comming and going to start making it) make the oatmeal as usual and them mix in some raisins and Keifer Mmmmm sounds good to me too

Ernie

My chickens like OATMEAL, or just plain oats. I gave them some frozen chopped strawberries this summer with oats and they devoured it! Just trying to figure out what I can give them now, with it being cold and all.. Haha! Happy cooking!
wink.png

I've been reading about how chickens just love oatmeal, so since it was cold (for New Orleans) this morning, about 45 degrees, I thought I cook them a small batch. I have 8 6-week old RIRs. I cooked about a cup of oatmeal in the microwave, let it cool, & brought it to them in a small plastic bowl. You'd think I'd given the best thing they ever ate!! The hardest thing was trying to keep the head chickie from walking all in the bow! It was gone in a flash, s I guess oatmeal will be on the menu for cold mornings.

After I make the coffee in the morning, I pour some hot water over two handfuls of dry cat food for my 3 hens, giving them extra protein to regrow their feathers from a blow-out molting a couple of months ago.

Crab season just started up two weeks ago. We had 5 crabs last week and fed all the crab cleanouts to the chickens, they were in seafood heaven.

--Hugh

today I gave my chickens a big dish of alfalfa pellets and oatmeal, added boiling water, when it cool enough they got that, they also received a few apples and some left over hard bread and 1 whole lettuce, as well as their boss and scratch. It was pretty cold this morning, the warm alfalfa and oatmeal was gone in a flash :)

Back
Top Bottom