Warmest Chick Temp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jmurcks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    What is the warmest temperature you can keep chicks at?
    I have 9 adorables in the house but they are begining to smell! They are close to a month old. I change their puppy pads 1-2 times a day but they are hard to keep up with mess wise!
    I want to move them from their brooder and set them up in a little area out in the coop but the temp has been as high as 100 degrees in there. Today it has been a high of 94 degrees.
    Right now they are used to room temp. with a lamp in the corner so I am afraid it will be too warm.
    Anyone have any advice?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would be afraid of losses due to the heat. Why don't you keep them inside, but just switch to pine shavings....things will smell alot better.....[​IMG]

But, I don't blame you.....as they grow I CAN'T WAIT to get them outta the house! Could you put a fan in the coop?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  3. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Songster

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I am too afraid of loosing one, too! That is why they are still in here with me [​IMG]
    I mean, these are the sweetest little chicks, ever!
    I just am afraid of them having to stay in until Sept. or something!
    I thought about the shavings, too, but I thought it may be too hard to clean or smell worse after a few days!
    I do have a fan in the coop and that is the temp with the fan... before that I got one reading of 105 degrees!
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by